Instant Pot Gobi Masala: everyday cauliflower or gobi masala recipe that’s infused with Indian spices and extremely easy to make.
This Instant Pot Gobi Masala is Vegan + Glutenfree.
The simple flavors make this Instant Pot Gobi masala recipe absolutely delicious and an ideal choice for a main or side dish.
This Instant Pot Gobi Masala or as some of you might know them as Cauliflower in Indian Spices or Instant pot Indian Cauliflower is one of my goto Indian style recipe to make using Cauliflower.
It’s super easy and actually easier to cook in InstantPot than cooking cauliflower on the stovetop as it saves so much cooking time and efforts.
Back in the days, we didn’t have the concept of ‘Instant Pot’ in India or I would say even now, it’s not that popular as most of the Indian homes use ‘Pressure Cooker’ (Stovetop version).
It’s been used in Indian household since generations and most of us grew up seeing our mom, grand-moms use pressure cooker for everyday dals, meat, stews or even boil potatoes.
Hence, you won’t find tons n tons of Instant Pot Indian Recipes, but don’t worry, we are getting there and soon you’ll see tons of them.
So, How did I get hooked on to the Instant-Pot?
A couple of years back, I got an Instant-pot as a Diwali gift from friends and it was kept hidden in the garage till one day I finally opened that magic box 🙂
It finally became a part of our regular kitchen gadgets and that’s how I started using it more frequently.
Initially, we boiled eggs, potatoes but soon graduated to making veggies, meat or my favorite Chole (Chickpeas) – I’m adding the recipe below.
Now, the tables have turned dramatically and there are some recipes that I make ONLY in instant pot and this is one of it
This Instant Pot Gobi Masala recipe is so simple that you could even term it a #holistic meal or even healthy Indian cauliflower recipe because:
It doesn’t use any Garlic.
Use of Extremely Mild Spices like coriander and cumin.
Some Sprinkle of Fresh Cilantro and that’s it. (optional)
I’m adding some red chili powder to make it little spicy as we like it that way, however, you can totally skip that if need be.
Also, if you grew up in Delhi just like me, you’d know the love everyone has for ‘Gobi / Gobhi / Cauliflower’ there!
It’s an extremely popular vegetable and people can eat it everyday.
So you’d see tons of varieties including this Instant Pot Gobi Masala or Cauliflower Instant Pot Recipe.
You’d definitely see it in almost every household in the winter season (when it’s produced the most).
Unlike here in the USA or other countries, cauliflower initially was available only during the winter season as it was considered to be a crop of winter.
However, now you can find cauliflower even in India (or some places in India) throughout the year.
The only difference between cauliflower in winter and all through the season is that the one available in winters (in India) is extremely tender and tastier.
Most of them are really small in size as compared to the large ones we get here.
TIP’s on cooking the cauliflower properly without making it into a Mush:
Use a ‘Large Pan/Pot’ when cooking cauliflower as they need space to cook properly.
You ‘Do Not’ want to cook them or keep stirring them for long as they mush up easily and then turn into this huge mash instead of individual florets.
Also, ‘Add Less Water’ as the addition of too much water makes it extremely mushy … almost soupy.
So, Always saute the spices + other veggies that go with it before and in the end add cauliflower.
It just needs 4-5 minutes of cooking and in instant-pot, it’s even quicker.
Now, in an Instant-Pot, you’d need to add some minimum amount of water to make it steam properly, hence I’m adding a cup of water.
However, once your Gobi is cooked and you open the pot, if you see extra water, you can:
- Discard it (scoop and throw)
- Lightly Saute the gobi while the instant pot is still plugged in and in saute mode. This way, you can cook most of the water making the gobi crisp.
So these were some of the tips/tricks I use to make Instant Pot Gobi Masala or anytime I make gobi/cauliflower.
Go ahead and make try this simple and flavorful Instant Pot Gobi Masala recipe or Instant Pot Gobi.
Enjoy it as your weeknight meal or even weekends and do let me know how it went.
:: You May Also Like ::
Tried Our Recipe – AWESOME!!!
Now Quickly SNAP A PICTURE & TAG :
#easycookingwithmolly + @easycookingwithmolly on Instagram –>
- 1 Large Cauliflower - cleaned & cut into florets or you can use those readymade florets bags
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil - you can use any other light oil
- 1 Large Onion - finely chopped - you may use white or any other kind
- 1 Tsp Grated Ginger - you may use 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- ** 1 Cup Water - remove 2tbsp to make dry gobhi or use whole 1 cup to make it slightly thick - check notes below
- 4 Tbsp Chopped Cilantro - optional
- ½ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tbsp Cumin Powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam Masala
- ½ teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp Salt - use as per choice
- Turn On the Instant Pot to Saute mode.
- Once hot indication is on, add oil, cumin seeds and sauté for 30 secs.
- Now, add onions and saute for a minute (or till onions are golden).
- Add all the spices and saute for 30 seconds.
- Now, add the cauliflower florets and saute everything evenly.
- Add water and put Instant Pot lid on with pressure valve to seal.
- Cook manually on high for 3 mins.
- Once the timer is off, quick release the steam or pressure valve.
- Add chopped cilantro. and mix evenly using a fork (the cauliflower will be tender, so please don't put much pressure or it will mash up easily).
- Transfer to serving dish and garnish some more with cilantro on top.
- Serve with choice of side.
Important: Now, in an Instant-Pot, you'd need to add some minimum amount of water to make it steam properly, hence I'm adding a cup of water. However, once your Gobi is cooked and you open the pot, if you see extra water, you can:
Discard it (scoop and throw)
Lightly Saute the gobi while the instant pot is still plugged in and in saute mode. This way, you can cook most of the water making the gobi crisp.
Amount Per ServingCalories 305 Total Fat 7g Saturated Fat 1g Cholesterol 2mg Sodium 364mg Carbohydrates 54g Sugar 16g Protein 19g