Fingerlicking good Instant Pot Dal – Instant Pot Dal Tadka recipe that’s ready in 15 minutes and made using a mix of 3 lentils (green moong dal, split masoor dal and yellow split peas) with tadka on top. Serve with rice, roti, quinoa or choice of grain.
Instant Pot Dal or Instant Pot Dal Tadka is my favorite everyday dal that we make at home and I especially like it with a bowl of steaming rice!!This combination is literally a taste of heaven on a plate, It’s healthy, convenient and Oh Sooooooo Good!!
‘Dal’ is an inseparable part of Indian cuisine and literally, All Indians have grown up eating it.
Whether it’s the simple combination of ‘Dal-Roti’ or ‘Dal-Chawal’ or even our most humble offering ‘Khichdi’ (mixture of lentil+rice).
And if you like eating at an Indian restaurant, then you can literally see a whole ‘sub-heading’ in the menu dedicated to Various Indian Dal, like Dal Makhani, Dal Fry, Dal Tadka, Yellow Dal, etc.
As common yet important Dal is, every household in India has a different Dal recipe 🙂
Yes, you heard it right! There is no hard and fast rules or MUST-haves in cooking it, you would come across numerous versions.
And that my friend is the BEST part about Dals. They can be 100% customized to your taste/needs.
What is Instant Pot Dal Tadka?
It is a mixture of 2 or more dals (masoor, moong, arhar or as many) that’s cooked in an Instant pot to a mushy state and then a ‘Tadka’ (tempering) of cumin, onion, tomatoes are added on top.
As seen in pictures below
Ingredients for Instant Pot Dal Tadka Recipe:
I love using a mix of dal’s and in the picture above you can see the following variety:
- Arhar / Toor Dal (Yellow Split Peas)
- Masoor Dhuli Dal (Red Lentil or Split Masoor Dal)
- Moong Dhuli Dal (Split Mung Beans or Green Moong Dal)
- Indian Spices – Turmeric, Red Chili Powder, Salt
Ingredients for the Tadka:
- Ghee or Butter (if using salted butter, adjust salt accordingly in dal) – use vegan options if need be
- Cumin Seeds (Sabut Jeera)
- Onions, thinly sliced
- Tomatoes, thinly sliced
What is the Difference Between Dal Tadka and Dal Fry?
If you read above, I have mentioned that this is a Dal Tadka, which is very different from Dal Fry.
Dal Tadka: is a mix of 2 or more Indian lentils, that’s cooked to a mushy state. Then you make the tempering known as ‘Tadka’ using cumin, onions, tomatoes, etc and add it on TOP of the Dal.
Dal Fry: is mostly made using yellow dal (could be a mix or not) and then is either mixed with a tadka of ‘Cumin-Onions’ or it’s added on the top.
For my Instant Pot Dal recipe, I’m making the Tadka separately in a small pan and will add it on top of the dal (once cooked) – This had two advantages:
- Makes your dal looks pretty
- Many kids or even adults don’t like tadka or anything on top of the dal, hence the tadka can be removed.
The tadka is ready in less than 3 minutes and elevates the Dal flavor to a whole new level
Tried Our Recipe – AWESOME!!!
Now Quickly SNAP A PICTURE & TAG :
#easycookingwithmolly + @easycookingwithmolly on Instagram –>
:: You May Also Like ::
Instant Pot Dal Ingredients:
- 1 Cup Arhar Dal (Split Yellow Dal)
- 1/2 Cup Masoor Dhuli Dal (Split Masoor)
- 1/2 Cup Moong Dhuli Dal (Split Moong Dal)
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt - as per taste
- 1 Stalk Cilantro - for garnish (can use coriander)
Tadka - Tempering:
- 2 Tbsp Ghee - use coconut oil if vegan
- 1/2 Tsp Olive Oil
- 2 Large Dry Red Chilies
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Tsp Red Chili Powder - use as per taste
- 1 Pinch Asafetida (Hing) optional
- Mix the lentils in a bowl and wash with cold water 2-3 times.
Make the Instant Pot Dal Recipe (Dal Tadka)
- Plug-in the instant pot and add all the instant pot dal ingredients (dals and spices).
- Give everything a good stir and close the instant pot lid.
- Turn Vent to Seal and Press the MANUAL - high pressure button.
- Set the timer to 10 minutes and let the dal cook.
- Once instant pot timer is down, release any leftover steam.
Make the Tadka:
- Heat ghee+oil in a small pan.
- Add cumin, hing (if using) and dry chilies.
- Store for 10 seconds on low heat.
- Add chopped onion and cook for a minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook for another minute.
- Turn off the gas.
Serving Instant Pot Dal Tadka:
- Transfer the cooked dal to a serving bowl/dish.
- Add the hot tadka on top and serve immediately.
- Serve with rice, roti, quinoa or any side of choice
You can prepare the 'Tadka' when you put the dal into Manual Cooking Mode.
Hence, the hot tadka is ready as soon as the Instant pot dal is done.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 267Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 120mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 12gSugar: 4gProtein: 12g