Chicken Keema Puff Pastry Recipe (Oven & Air-Fryer Method): extremely popular Indian snack recipe made in 30 minutes. Golden puffs with crispy outer and delicious spicy ground chicken (keema) filling inside.
What is Chicken Keema Puff Pastry?
They are an extremely popular and typical dish available in most Indian bakeries and are most sought after at parties.
Puff pastry sheets are cut and filled with this simple yet spicy keema filling (also called ground/minced chicken).
Then they are baked to golden-crispy perfection, that once tasted can make you fall in love with them over and over again 🙂
With the weekend just around the corner, I wanted to share this recipe as a) it’s been long pending and b) many of you had requested some quick Indian appetizers.
And it surely doesn’t get simpler than this.
Ingredients for the Keema Puffs:
Here is the ingredients list:
- Puff Pastry – homemade or storebought (thawed – keep in the fridge until ready to use).
- Keema (ground chicken) – can use frozen or fresh. If using frozen, please thaw
- Onion – chopped
- Capsicum (bell pepper) – chopped
- Mixed Nuts – chopped (optional but adds a great nutty taste).
- Cheese – use as per choice, I’m using a mix of Mexican-American cheese.
- Spices – salt, red chili powder and curry powder (use homemade or storebought)
- Egg – to seal the puffs and add that golden shine on top after baking.
How to Make Chicken Keema Puffs:
I’m dividing the process into three easy categories:
A) Cook the Keema (ground chicken):
Saute chicken, spices, veggies, and chili sauce together. Once cooked, completely cool before use (check recipe for detailed steps).
B) Fill the Puffs:
Cut the thawed puffs into equal square shapes.
Take 1 square and keep and add the cooled filling in the center and place another square sheet on top.
Then crimp/seal the sides using a fork and put some holes on top too (for hot air to escape).
C) Bake / Air Fry the Puffs:
This is the last step and just preheat the oven/air fryer depending on the method you are using.
Then place the uncooked puffs on a baking tray/air fryer basket and bake to golden perfection.
Once done, remove the puffs and similarly bake all the remaining puffs.
I usually serve them with Cilantro chutney or Mint chutney but you can serve with ketchup or chili sauce too.
These can be served in any party with an Indian theme or multi-cultural cuisines.
The ‘Keema Puffs’ pairs amazingly with wine (red/white/rose) or bourbon and ofcourse mocktails.
They are a SUPER HIT combination with hot Indian Chai.
These can be prepped in advance and kept in the fridge uncooked and baked 10-15 minutes prior to your event/party.
They also make a perfect appetizer for picnics/date night too.
Tried Our Recipe – AWESOME!!!
Now Quickly SNAP A PICTURE & TAG :
#easycookingwithmolly + @easycookingwithmolly on Instagram –>
:: You May Also Like ::
- 1 Packet Puff Pastry Sheets*
- 1 Cup Chicken Keema (ground chicken)
- 1 Large Onion - chopped
- 1 Large Capsicum (bell pepper)
- 1/4 Cup Mixed Nuts - chopped (optional)
- 2 Tbsp Light Chili Sauce (optional)
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil - to cook the chicken filling
- 1 Egg - whisked
- 1 Tbsp Curry Powder - can use homemade or storebought
- 1 Tsp Salt - as per taste
- 1 Tsp Chili Powder
Make the Filling:
- Heat a non-stick pan and add oil.
- Add chopped onion and saute till golden (about 2 minutes).
- Add the chicken keema (ground chicken), spices, and saute everything.
- Cover with lid and let this simmer on slow heat till cooked.
- Open after 2 minutes, saute.
- Add chopped capsicum (bell pepper), chili sauce, and dry fruits (if using).
- Saute for 2-3 minutes on medium-low flames and cook the capsicum with chicken.
- Turn off the heat and cool the mix completely.
Make the Chicken Keema Puff Pastry Recipe:
Baking in Regular Oven: Preheat oven at 360F (182C) for 3 minutes.
- Take the thawed but cold Puff Pastry Sheets and cut them into squares (see tutorial pic).
- Add 1.5 tbsp of filling in the center and add a cut pastry sheet over it.
- Press and seal the puff pastry sheets on all sides.
- Crimp the edges using a fork (this further seal the puffs) and poke few holes on top.
- Similarly, fill and seal all the remaining chicken puffs.
- Brush each wrapped pastry with whisked egg (for the golden - crispy look).
- Transfer the uncooked chicken puffs to a baking tray (i'm adding 5 puffs at a time).
- Bake for 12 minutes (keep an eye as all ovens are different).
- Once baked, remove from the oven.
- Server Hot with favorite ketchup or chutney.
Air Fryer Method:
Air Fryer - preheat at 330F for 3 mins
- Remove the basket and place foil/parchment paper in the bottom.
- Place the uncooked puffs (2-4 depending on the size of the fryer).
- Close the basket and Air fry for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, open the basket and remove the cooked puffs to clean the plate.
- Place the remaining uncooked puffs and air-fry accordingly.
- Once all is done, serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 445Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 121mgSodium: 897mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 26g