Bengali Khichuri Recipe (One Pot Lentil-Rice Dish) is super duper easy, healthy recipe using lentil, rice, spice, ghee, and veggies.
Bengali Khichuri Recipe
The recipe comes from the Eastern part of India and is also served as prasad in Durga Puja/Saraswati Puja/Kali Puja (Festivals) in Bengal.
Khichuri is usually made with white rice along with lentils, vegetables(potato, cauliflower, carrots, etc) and spices however I’m using brown rice for this recipe.
It’s also one of the preferred meals in India when you wants to keep your tummy light or when your tummy is upset.
It’s perfect for one of “THOSE” lazy days when you don’t want to cook anything elaborate but yet want something healthy using least of the utensils n time.
You may measure the dry ingredients & spices and keep them stored in air-tight container for future use.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 1 Cup Basmati Brown Rice – You may use any rice of your choice
- ½ Cup Split Yellow Lentil (Moong Dhuli)
- ½ Cup Red Lentil (Masoor Dhuli)
- ¼ Cup Spinach – You may use frozen or fresh spinach as per availability
- ½ Large Boiled Potato – Chopped into bite size pieces
- ½ Large Onion – Thinly chopped
- 1 Green Chili – Thinly Chopped
- 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil – You may use any flavorless oil
- 1 Tbsp of Clarified Butter(Ghee) - Optional
- 3 Cups Water
- 2 Cups of Water (For soaking rice+lentils)
- 1 Large Bay Leaf(Tej Patta)
- 1 Black Cardamom(Badi Elaichi)
- 2 Cloves(Laung)
- 1 Stick of Cinnamon(Dalchini)
- 5 Black Pepper Corns(Kali Mirch)
- 2 Pinch of Asafetida(Hing)
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala
- ½ Tsp Turmeric
- 1 Tsp Red Chili Powder
- 2 Tsp Salt (As per your taste)
- Prep Work: In a large pot, soak rice+lentils in 2 cups of water for 1 hr. (Drain the grains and keep aside)
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil, butter(ghee) in a pressure cooker for 1/2 min on high flame.
- Reduce heat to medium, add onions and sauté for a min.
- Add all the whole spices, sauté for 2-3 minute till onions are pink in color.
- Now add spinach, potato, green chili and sauté for another 2 minute.
- Add pre-soaked rice+lentils and sauté for 2-3 minute till everything is mixed together.
- Add powdered spices and sauté for another minute.
- Now add 3 cups of water and
- close the pressure lid and turn the heat to high.
- Turn off the heat after 3 whistles and let the pressure cooker cool.
- Serve Khichuri with plain yogurt, pickle and papadum.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 349 Total Fat: 26g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 17g Cholesterol: 34mg Sodium: 243mg Carbohydrates: 71g Fiber: 10g Sugar: 4g Protein: 24g