Jeera Aloo Recipe: extremely popular Indian side dish using potatoes, jeera (cumin), turmeric and other spices. Super easy to make, delicious and goes perfectly with all Indian meals. This recipe is glutenfree and vegan. Jeera Aloo or Zeera Aloo, is an extremely popular or I can say Quintessential Indian potato recipe that is a favorite in every Indian home.
Because of its simple flavors, it’s especially loved by kids and makes for a great lunchbox addition with Indian roti/paratha or even bread.
What is Jeera Aloo Recipe?
It’s potatoes sauteed with cumin (jeera or zeera as known in India) and a mix of everyday Indian spices in a large skillet.
The potatoes are soft inside and crispy on the outside This dish is prepared on the stovetop and ready in 15 minutes.This dish is so easy to make and budget-friendly, that it’s a part of an everyday meal in many Indian homes.
Ingredients for Jeera Aloo Recipe:
- Potatoes – can use any potatoes
- Cumin – also known as jeera or zeera
- Turmeric – popularly known as haldi in India
- Red Chili Powder
- Oil – use any light, flavorless oil
How to Make Jeera Aloo Recipe:
As I have mentioned above, the recipe is extremely easy and needs no special techniques or ingredients.
- Clean and Peel the potatoes.
- Chop them into small bite-size pieces or hash brown size.
- Saute the potatoes in cumin, turmeric, salt, and red chili mix.
- After 15 minutes, the potatoes have softened inside and had a crispy coating outside.
- Turn off the heat and serve hot.
Since the potatoes are cut into bite-size pieces, it’s cooked really quickly….within 15 minutes.
You can garnish it with freshly chopped cilantro (dhaniya patti).
Serving Suggestion for Jeera Aloo Recipe:
This recipe goes with all Indian meal (whether north Indian or south Indian).
You can serve it for lunch/dinner along with roti/ paratha/ rice or even a slice of bread.
It makes a great side dish for packed lunches as the potatoes taste amazing even cold.
I sometimes eat it for breakfast, topped on toasted bread.
Tried Our Recipe – AWESOME!!!
Now Quickly SNAP A PICTURE & TAG :
#easycookingwithmolly + @easycookingwithmolly on Instagram –>
:: You May Also Like ::
- 4 Large Potatoes - cleaned and peeled
- 1.5 Tbsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera or Zeera)
- 1 Tbsp Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 Tsp Red Chili Powder (Lal Mirch)
- 1 Tbsp Salt - use as per taste
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala - homemade or store-bought
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil - use any light oil
- 1 Tbsp Mango Powder (Amchur Powder)
How to make Jeera Aloo Recipe:
- Take the peeled potatoes and chop them into small bite-size pieces.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large skillet.
- Add cumin seeds and let it crackle for 30 seconds.
- Add chopped potatoes and saute.
- Now add turmeric powder, chili powder, and salt.
- Saute everything and cover the potatoes with a lid.
- Reduce the heat to low and let this cook for 5 minutes (saute every minute).
- After 5 minutes, remove the cover and saute the potatoes (the potatoes would have cooked and break easily).
- Now add garam masala and mango powder (amchur - if using).
- Saute and let this cook for another 4-5 minutes (this crisps the potatoes from outside).
- Turn off the heat and transfer the potatoes to a serving bowl.
- Serve hot with roti/ paratha or rice.
Once cooked, the Jeera Aloo can be kept in the fridge for upto 2 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 397Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 200mgCarbohydrates: 69gFiber: 8gSugar: 6gProtein: 8g