Gajar ka Halwa with Almond-Saffron Cream (Layered Indian Carrot Pudding): a decadent Indian dessert which combines two of Favorite Indian Dessert (Carrot Pudding + Saffron Whipped Cream with Chopped Almonds).
This is my Favorite Spring n Festive Indian Season Dessert. It looks as pretty as delicious it tastes.
I’ve always been a fan of ‘Gajar ka Halwa’ (Indian Carrot Pudding)!!
And till date my mom’s recipe is my favorite (which I’m sharing here today) just to give it an extra touch, I’m layering it between whipped cream flavored with saffron+almond.
The end result is a delicious gooey dessert that pleases all age group.
I’m especially excited to share this Gajar ka Halwa with Almond-Saffron Cream recipe for our ‘ HOLI SPECIAL ‘ –
The Festival of Colors (which is one of the biggest Indian festival, celebrated by Indians all across the globe).
Infact we do have a couple of ‘ Holi Color Celebrations’ in Bay Area.
For the ‘Holi Festival’ we have two main things ‘Colors’ & ‘Desserts’!!!
It’s a festival where we just eat, make merry and celebrate with friends n family.
Mostly we make a dessert called ‘Gujiya’ (Indian flavored Empanadas – recipe will be shared later)
But this Holi, I’m making the Gajar ka Halwa with Almond-Saffron Cream
which we ALL Love n it’s also relished by our family/friends who are not a big fan of empanadas/gujiya but love to eat desserts.
Gajar ka Halwa with Almond-Saffron Cream recipe is very very very simple to make.
Its just grated carrots cooked in pressure cooker or slow cooker with ‘ghee/butter’ with milk, dry fruits, green cardamom and sugar.
For the Almond-Saffron Cream, we just need to whip some Heavy Cream with almond extract, chopped almonds, pistachio (you may skip or add as per choice) and some saffron.
Once you have these two things ready, just layer as per choice in a serving bowl/glass and serve room temperature or cold.
Since, Holi always falls in start or spring where the temperature is kind of high in India,
hence I love to serve it cold with some extra cream on top.
~ Enjoy this Wonderful Dessert with your Loved Ones & We Wish You a Happy n Colorful Holi ~
Tried Our Recipe – AWESOME!!!
Now Quickly SNAP A PICTURE & TAG :
#easycookingwithmolly + @easycookingwithmolly on Instagram –>
- 2 Cups Shredded Carrots
- 2 Cups Whole Milk – You may use fat free or lower fat milk.*
- 1/4 Cup White Sugar – (You can substitute with brown sugar or sweetener)
- 1/2 Tsp Cardamom Powder + 2 Whole Cardamom
- 4 Tbsp Ghee
- For Almond-Saffron Cream
- 9 Almonds - Chopped
- Few Drops Almond Extract - optional
- Few Saffron Strands - pinch or two
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- In a non-stick pan, boil milk on low heat (keep stirring the milk to prevent it from burning/scalding).
- Reduced to a slightly thick consistency (about 10 minutes), keep aside and cool.
- Melt butter/ghee in a huge pan on medium heat.
- Add shredded carrots and stir-fry for about 7-8 minutes or till carrots become tender and slightly orange-pink in color.
- Add the already reduced/thick milk and cook on a medium heat until the milk is absorbed (8-10 min) and the halwa is almost ready now.
- Add sugar, cardamom powder & stir for another three to four minutes until the halwa starts to leave the sides of pot.
- Let the halwa cool completely
- ***For Almond-Saffron Cream ***
- In a large bowl, add heavy whipping cream, almond extract and whip using electric whisk till stiff peaks are formed.
- Now, add saffron strands, chopped almonds and whip on least speed for a minute to combine everything.
- ~ Making the Layers ~
- Take Medium Glasses/Tall Jars and layer the bottom with large tablespoon of halwa/pudding.
- Now, top it with a layer of 'Almond-Saffron Cream'.
- Repeat these two layers till you reach the top (Top Layer is cream).
- Sprinkle some chopped almond+pistachio mix.
- Keep glasses in fridge to chill for sometime.
- Serve Chilled or as per taste.
Amount Per ServingCalories 550 Total Fat 46g Saturated Fat 10g Cholesterol 36mg Sodium 53mg Carbohydrates 22g Sugar 9g Protein 18g