Instant Pot Kheer Recipe: creamy, thick, flavored with saffron, rice along with dried food, this Indian rice pudding is a perfect dessert for the festive season (Diwali, Holi, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc) and for parties too. This recipe makes a thick, creamy and rich kheer without using condensed milk.
This Instant Pot Kheer Recipe or as many of my friends call it “Indian Rice Pudding” is one recipe that adds both glam and deliciousness to our Diwali party or upcoming Friendsgiving/Thanksgiving.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Kheer or Instant Pot Indian Rice Pudding:
Rice – I’m using basmati rice but any white or brown rice will do
Milk – if vegan use a nut milk
Sugar – can use any sugar substitute
Almonds – slivered or crushed into tiny pieces
Coconut Powder – can use unsweetened coconut flakes too
Saffron – it’s good to use but can skip if not available
Cardamom Powder – you can use cardamom pods to make powder
Decoration (Optional) – rose petals, rose water, almonds, saffron and coconut powder
The Best part about the Instant Pot Kheer is that its super easy to make on the day of the festivities or even a day or two before.
Trust me, I make a Big and I mean a BIG batch every Diwali and last few years, I have started using my Instant-pot to make it.
25 minutes and the mix turns into this thick, creamy, flavorful and aromatic dessert.
Now you can make kheer with just 3 simple ingredients too (rice, milk, and sugar)
BUT, since it’s a celebration, this NEEDS to be Grand, Royal or Shahi (as it’s called in India).
Hence I’m adding nuts, cardamom, coconut flakes, etc to enhance the flavor further and to decorate too.
I’m also sharing below “How you can make a thick and creamy kheer” everytime.
It’s super easy and does not involve using condensed milk.
How to make Thick & Creamy Restaurant like Kheer at home:
1- Milk Powder – milk powder instantly thickens liquids and adds to the flavor.
2- Coconut Powder – another thickner and flavor enhancer
3- Any Other Nut Powder like cashews/almonds, etc.
I’m not against using condensed milk but due to its high sugar content, many members in my family don’t consume desserts made with it.
So, if you also are looking at an option to making the Indian rice pudding thicker, then you should definitely save this post
Now, as we are calling it ‘Royal Diwali Dessert’, we need to add ingredients that gives it such a high flavor and definitely a glam look 😉
So, I’m adding nuts, rosewater, saffron, cardamom to give the kheer a rich taste and I’m topping it with similar ingredients.
So, this Diwali, go ahead and try this Indian Rice Pudding or what we lovingly call ‘Kheer’ at home.
Wishing you and your loved ones a Very Happy & Prosperous Diwali.
:: You May Also Like ::
Tried Our Recipe – AWESOME!!!
Now Quickly SNAP A PICTURE & TAG :
#easycookingwithmolly + @easycookingwithmolly on Instagram –>
- 1 Cup Basmati Rice - you may use any other white rice too
- 3 Cups Milk
- 2 Cups Hot Water - to soak rice
- 4 Tbsp Ghee - you may use olive oil
- 2 Tbsp Milk Powder
- 1/4 Cup Sugar - you can use sugar substitute*
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Coconut - dry coconut powder
- 1/4 Cup Almonds - slivered or crushed
- 2 Pinch Saffron - crushed
- 1 Tbsp Green Cardamoms - crushed and skin removed
- 1/8 Tsp Cinnamon Powder
- 1 Tbsp Rose Petal - optional
- 1 Tsp Rose Water - optional
- 2 Tbsp Thinly Chopped Almonds
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Powder
- Pinch of Saffron
Soak rice in hot water for 10 minutes.
Then sieve and crush the rice with your fingers (this step increases the flavor of rice when cooked).
How to Make Instant Pot Kheer (Indian Rice Pudding)
- Turn Instant Pot to Sauté mode.
- Add ghee to the instant pot and stir.
- Now add almonds, saffron, cardamom and saute nicely.
- Add rice and saute for a minute.
- Now add, milk, cinnamon, rose water, milk powder, coconut powder and stir everything together.
- Close the Instant-Pot lid with the pressure valve to sealing.
- Press the Porridge button and let it cook for 20 minutes.
- Allow Natural Pressure Release.
- Open the lid carefully and check the consistency.
- Stir nicely and transfer to a serving pot.
- You can serve the Kheer as is now or decorate on top with rose petal, saffron, almonds, coconut powder.
- Serve hot or cold
Sugar: We like slightly less sweetened kheer, hence please adjust the sugar/sweetener as per your taste.
Adding More Nuts/Raisins: since some family members don't like raisins, hence I don't add it. However, you can add raisins if you like (when sauteeing the dry fruits in the steps above).
Serving Size:8 Cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 344 Total Fat: 18g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 24mg Sodium: 135mg Carbohydrates: 39g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 14g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 7g