Kadhai Chicken Curry: One-pot Indian chicken curry that goes perfectly with roti/breads or rice.
Hello Everyone, the entire last week, we had been updating and tweaking the blog and this post just kept postponing. But today I had to share the recipe of ‘Kadai Chicken Curry’.
It’s one of my favorite dish and also on the celebration of my blog been published under the ‘Top 10 Desi (Indian) Blog to follow for Foodie on Instagram‘.
This article was quite a pleasant surprise and gave us an extra reason to celebrate this dish. You can find the article details Here
Now, getting back to our recipe, it’s easy, made with very little oil yet tastes absolutely delicious.
As mentioned, it’s a very simple curry however it needs to be cooked in a heavy bottom pan (cast iron or dutch oven or a pressure cooker) as the spices and onion mixture needs to be slowly cooked or you can say almost caramelized.
All you need is a little bit of whole spices, powdered, basic curry ingredients like onions, tomato, ginger, garlic, and off-course chicken 🙂
It’s best served hot with fresh roti (bread) or steamed rice or grain of choice.
If stored, it can stay in the refrigerator for up to 2-3days.
- 1 lb. Chicken - Cut into medium bite size pieces
- 2 Medium Onions - cleaned and cubed
- 1 inch Ginger Piece - cleaned
- 4-5 Cloves Garlic - cleaned
- 2 Medium Tomato - cubed
- 2 Small Green Chilies - chopped into small pieces - Optional
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Cilantro - chopped
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/4 Cup Oil - I'm using mustard oil, you may use the same or any light oil.
- 1 Large Bay Leaf
- 3 Cloves
- 3 Green Cardamom
- 2 Black Cardamom
- 5 Whole Black Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 Tsp Garam Masala
- 1 Pinch Cinnamon Powder
- 1 Tsp Red Chili Powder - Optional
- 2 Tsp Salt - As per taste
- In a food-processor, add onion, ginger, garlic and pulse for 2 minutes ( To form thick mixture)
- Heat oil in a pot on medium high for 2 minutes or till you see smoke coming from the oil.
- Add the onion mixture, bay leaf and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Now, reduce the heat to low, cover the lid and let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Add all the whole spices in the mortar-pestle and grind for a minute (Just to crush the spices and release aroma)
- Add, all the crushed and powder spices and sauté the mixture.
- Now, add chicken, stir everything together, cover and let cook for 4-5 minutes. ( Keep stirring every 2 minutes to prevent mixture from burning)
- Add the chopped tomato, green chilies and cook for another 2 minutes or till tomatoes dissolve in the mix.
- Now, add water, saute everything evenly and close the lid.
- Cook for 3 minutes and then turn off the heat.
- Transfer to serving dish, sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve hot.
Amount Per ServingCalories 200 Total Fat 15g Saturated Fat 6g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 15g Cholesterol 40mg Sodium 250mg Carbohydrates 10g Fiber 4g Sugar 2g Protein 15g
Kadai Chicken Curry