This post is written in partnership with CK Mondavi and Family. As always, the opinions here are all my own #CKMondaviWines #SunsetSweetRed
Tandoori Fish Tacos: extremely delicious tandoori fish tacos (Indian grilled fish tacos) using yogurt and tandoori spices. These can be made in oven too. Also called tandoori fish tikka tacos, tandoori tacos, Indian fish tacos and the fish taco marinade is super easy. Extremely healthy fish taco recipe.Starting our week with our most requested Tandoori Fish Tacos recipe that’s super yummm, easy and healthy fusion of two favorite cuisines – Indian & Mexican.
We have been making these grilled fish tacos for so many years and they were the star of our end of Summer BBQ party. As promised to everyone attending and asking me for more tacos recipe, here we go 🙂
What is Tandoori Fish Tacos?
They are Indian grilled fish tacos, where the fish is coated in a mixture of tandoori spices, yogurt, and chickpeas. Then grilled and filled in a tortilla and topped with cabbage, onions, etc to form a taco.
To enhance the flavors further I’m using pickled onions, pickled jalapeno and a sweet-spicy yogurt sauce on these tacos.
The fish is grilled (you can bake it in kitchen oven too) and I’m using homemade chickpea flour tortilla along with fresh veggie toppings, hence these tacos are fairly healthy.
Ingredients for Tandoori Fish Tacos:
- Fish, light fish like tilapia, cod, baja, etc
- Tandoori Spice, homemade or store-bought
- Yogurt, plain and thick yogurt
- Seasoning, salt, red chili powder, ginger-garlic powder
- Chickpea Flour, using as a binder
- Toppings like cabbage, pickled onions, carrots, cilantro and fresh lemons
- Tortilla, homemade or store-bought (I’m using homemade chickpea tortilla)
I’m also pairing this spicy, creamy fish tacos with this luscious and smooth “Sunset Sweet Red Blend” from CK Mondavi and Family.
It’s a new wine and will be available throughout the summer and early fall. So you gotta pick this wine fast before they are sold out.
It’s great to pair with meat, spicy food or chocolate.
How to Make Tandoori Fish Tacos:
Fish tacos are fairly easy or I would say quick recipe as the fish cooks really quickly compared to other meats. Here is a step by step detailed recipe with pictures.
- So we start by mixing tandoori spices, seasoning, yogurt, and chickpeas to form a smooth tandoori batter.
- We marinated the fish in this batter for 5 minutes
- Transfer the marinated fish to the grill or you can even bake using a home oven
- While the fish bakes, cook the tortillas
- Prep the toppings by chopping, mixing and assembling everything together.
- Once the fish is ready, break it into bite-size pieces.
- Take each tortilla, top with fish, toppings and yogurt sauce
- Serve fresh or even chilled
What to Serve with Indian Fish Tacos:
Since these tacos are light, I like to serve it with more veggies options like:
- Grilled Veggies
- Grilled Corn Kernels
- Cabbage Slaw
- Chips, like potatoes, sweet or anything light
- Other Dressings, sometimes you may want to add crema lime dressing, ranch or cheese dressing.
- Indian Green Chutney, made using cilantro.
- Sweet Sauce
- Fruits, like mango, plums, pineapple, etc
Extra Tips for Serving Tacos:
I love to make these tacos even on weeknights, where I can bake the fish in the oven.
If you are serving these tacos in a party, then if you are wondering How Many Tacos You Need Per Person? – The answer is 3 and that’s good enough with all the other food you will have.
When preparing these tacos for the party, always prep extra toppings and tortilla. You can always cut the fish into smaller pieces if you get unexpected guests.
Earn Savings on CK Mondavi and Family wines on the Ibotta app. Download for free to save.
Use the CK Mondavi Wine Finder to locate wines near you! https://www.ckmondavi.com/find-wine/
:: You May Also Like ::
Tried Our Recipe – AWESOME!!!
Now Quickly SNAP A PICTURE & TAG :
#easycookingwithmolly + @easycookingwithmolly on Instagram –>
- 8 Tilapia Fish Fillet *
- 3 Tbsp Canola Oil or Cooking Spray
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice – For sprinkling on cooked fish before serving
For the Marinade *
- 1 Cup Thick Plain Yogurt
- 2 Tbsp Tandoori Spice Mix, homemade or storebought
- 4 Tbsp Canola Oil – You may use any light oil
- 4 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 Tsp Salt - As per your taste
- 1 Tbsp Red Chili Powder, add as per taste
- 1 Tsp Ginger+Garlic Powder
- 2 Cups Thinly Sliced Cabbage
- 1 Cup Thinly Sliced Pickled Onions, you can use plain onion too
- 1 Cup Thinly Sliced Carrots
- 2 Large Jalapeno, chopped
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Cilantro, you can use parsley
- Lemon Wedges
- Tandoori or lime seasoning
Marinate the Fish:
- In a large bowl, add all the marinade ingredients and whisk to a smooth paste.
- Now add the powdered spices and whisk everything evenly.
- Add the fish fillet to the marinade, using your hand evenly coat both the sides.
- Cover the marinated bowl with a lid and refrigerate for an hour. (TIP: The more you marinate, the better the taste)
Grill the Fish :
- Heat the grill using coal or wood chips. Keep the temperature low.
- Take the marinated fish and place them one by one on the grill.
- Let this grill for 2 minutes and then turn the fish and grill another 2 minutes.
- Remove the fish as soon as they are cooked (fish burns really quickly).
- Cut the grilled fish into bite-size pieces
Making the Tandoori Fish Tacos:
- Cook the tortilla and keep aside.
- Take 1 tortilla and add sliced cabbage, 1 tsp pickled onions, and carrots.
- Now add 1tsp of yogurt sauce and add 3-4 tandoori fish bites (tikka) on it.
- Add chopped jalapeno and some more yogurt sauce on top of the fish.
- Sprinkle chopped cilantro and some tandoori masala (lime seasoning) on top.
- Similarly, make all the tacos.
- Place the tacos on serving platter or plates and serve fresh.
Fish, you can use any light fish
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 324 Total Fat: 18g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 63mg Sodium: 600mg Carbohydrates: 13g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 6g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 31g