Savory Buckwheat Crepes are crispy, delicious crepes made using buckwheat flour, salt, yogurt, water and some shredded zucchini. They are also called ‘Kuttu Chilla’ or Kuttu Cheela’ or ‘Kuttu Dosa’ in India and are vegan, glutenfree and perfect for Navratri fasting.
This week we are celebrating Indian Navratri Festival, where many fasts (not eat at all or not eat gluten) and these Savory Buckwheat Crepes or Kuttu Chilla /Kuttu Cheela / Kuttu Dosa is one of my favorite recipe for this occasion.
It can be served with:
Buckwheat is also known as ‘Kuttu’ in India and is an extremely healthy grain. The buckwheat seeds are triangle in shape and also known as groats (can be eaten as porridge).
So during fasting season in India, these Buckwheat Crepes are a popular way to get healthy nutrients while still fasting.
Also, for anyone who needs to eat glutenfree due to dietary constraints, these crepes are a perfect option.
Super easy to make and comes together in minutes.
What are the Ingredients for Savory Buckwheat Crepes:
It’s an easy crepe recipe to begin with and doesn’t need many ingredients. To make it slightly more filling I’m adding zucchini, which is totally optional
Buckwheat Flour – I’m using the ones we get at Indian Stores but you can use Bob’s Red Mill or Even Any other brand.
Yogurt – I’m using vegan coconut yogurt, you can use any yogurt.
Salt + Chili Powder – I’m using Indian rock salt (sendha namak/vrat ka namak) but any salt is fine.
Shredded Zucchini – totally optional, makes a great-tasting and filling crepe.
How to Make Savory Buckwheat Crepes:
As simple as the ingredients are, the method to make the crepes are equally easy and I’m diving it into 2 main steps:
Make the Crepe Batter:
- So we start by mixing the flour and seasoning in a bowl.
- Then add yogurt + water and whisk everything.
- Then add zucchini and whisk (if using).
- Let this batter rest for 10 minutes and then you are ready to make the savory crepes or as we call in India “Kuttu ka Chilla or Kuttu ka Cheela”.
Cooking the Crepe:
I’m, using a non-stick pan (which is great for crepes/pancakes) and use less oil/butter.
- So just add 2 ladlefuls of the batter on a hot non-stick pan.
- Let this cook for 30 seconds and then sprinkle some oil all around the crepe. (this is important to make them crispy and non-stick).
- Then let this cook for a minute and then flip the crepe to cook the other side.
Below, you can see how beautifully the crepe cooked.
Once, all the crepes are cooked, I usually stack them one upon the other and serve.
Here are my Savory Buckwheat Crepes that I’m serving with a basic Green Chutney (the chutney has garlic, so you may avoid during Indian Festive Fastings – where you donot eat onion-garlic)
Our Savory Buckwheat Crepes are fairly thin and you can add any vegetable as stuffing too as they wrap really well.
Tips to Make Perfect Buckwheat Crepes / Kuttu Chilla:
Always leave the batter for 10-15 minutes to after whisking. This helps the batter rise a little.
You can also use Milk instead of Yogurt and create Sweet Buckwheat Crepes.
Always keep the pan well-oiled t get crispy crepes and have them not stick to any pan.
Tried Our Recipe – AWESOME!!!
Now Quickly SNAP A PICTURE & TAG :
#easycookingwithmolly + @easycookingwithmolly on Instagram –>
:: You May Also Like ::
- 2 Cups Buckwheat Flour
- 1/2 Cup Plain Yogurt
- 1 Cup Water - few tbsps more
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Red chili Powder, optional
- 1 Cup Shredded Zucchini, optional
Make the Buckwheat Crepes Batter:
- In a large bowl, add flour, yogurt, salt and red chili powder.
- Whisk to form a smooth mix.
- Add water, zucchini and whisk to form a smooth batter.
Make the Buckwheat Crepes:
- Heat a non-stick pan and keep the heat medium-low.
- Add 2 ladlefuls of batter in the center of the pan and create a circular shape (about an inch thick).
- Add some oil and let this cook for a minute.
- Then flip to the other side and cook another minute.
- Once the crepe is cooked on both sides, remove from pan.
- Similarly, make ALL the crepes using the batter.
- Serve hot with favorite sauce/chutney
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 76Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 207mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 3g