South Indian Potato Recipe: quick recipe using baby potato, sambhar powder, curry leaves, etc. This is vegan, glutenfree and can be eaten with rice, naan, bread, etc. Also known as Indian Baby Potato Recipe
Call it by any name this South Indian Potato Recipe is one of my favorite baby potato recipe of all times.
Easy to make and perfect for a quick lunch or when we have unannounced guests, these potatoes are loved by one and all.
What is the South Indian Potato Recipe:
Its potatoes cooked in a spicy masala made using fresh curry leaves, sambhar powder, hing, and coconut powder.It’s fingerlicking good and an extremely popular recipe in India. Also known as ‘Potato Thokku’ in South India.
Ingredients for the South Indian Potato Recipe:
You need the following ingredients for the recipe:
- Boiled Potatoes: these can be any shape or size including baby potatoes.
- Sambhar Powder: this is the heart and soul of this dish. Very commonly found in Indian grocery stores.
- Fresh Curry Leaves: you can use dry curry leaves but they won’t taste the same.
- Asafetida: also known as ‘Hing’ it adds flavor to the dish and makes it easier to digest.
- Basic Indian Spices: turmeric, salt, chili powder
- Coconut Powder: this elevates the flavors and adds a creamy texture to the dish.
Process for the Indian Baby Potato Recipe:
The whole recipe is ready in 15 minutes including prep time.
You simply saute the potatoes in the spice mix.
Then add the curry leaves, coconut powder and let everything cook for 2-3 minutes.
Finally, transfer the cooked potatoes to a serving dish and enjoy with rotis, naan or even bread.
I even like packing this up for picnics, or outdoor lunch.
The recipe is easier to carry and makes a great office lunch menu too
Tried Our Recipe – AWESOME!!!
Now Quickly SNAP A PICTURE & TAG :
#easycookingwithmolly + @easycookingwithmolly on Instagram –>
:: You May Also Like ::
- 10 Boiled Baby Potatoes
- 7-8 Fresh Curry Leaves
- 1 Tbsp Sambhar Powder - storebought or homemade
- 1 Tsp Mustard Seeds - use any size or color you have
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Salt - use as per taste
- 1 Tsp Chili Powder - use as per taste
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder (Dhaniya)
- 1/8 Tsp Asafetida (Hing) - optional
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Powder - fresh or dry
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 2 Tbsp Light Oil
How to Make South Indian Potato Recipe
- Heat 2tbs oil in a large wok/pan
- Add mustard seeds and let it crackle for 30 seconds.
- Add turmeric, hing (if using), salt, chili powder, coriander powder, sambhar powder and saute everything.
- Now add the boiled baby potatoes (or any other kind of boiled potatoes) and water.
- Saute everything and cover the pan with lid
- Reduce the heat to low and let this cook for 4-5 minutes (saute every minute)
- After 5 minutes, remove the lid and saute the potatoes.
- Add coconut powder and saute.
- Let this cook for another 2-3 minutes and then turn off the heat.
- Transfer to a serving.
- Serve hot with rice/ naan or bread
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 136Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 416mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g