Pesto Mushroom Pizza with Caramelized Onions using Flatbread: super quick and delicious pizza that’s filled with the flavors of fresh pesto, mushrooms, caramelized onions and a hint of herb oil. Can be made on flatbread, pizza base or tandoori naan too.
Mondays always arrive in a flash but thankfully, we had such an amazing Sunday gathering with loved ones, laughter and lots of wine!Just before we say ‘Goodbye’ to the summers, we made this Pesto Mushroom Pizza with Caramelized Onions and hosted an impromptu Wine + Pizza party at home.
Now, What could be Better than Homemade Crispy Pizza & Chilled Wine on a Sunday !!!!
Pesto Mushroom Pizza Ingredients:
Since this is an impromptu party and I’m making 20 pizza (Helllooooo), I decided to use my Secret Ingredients that Makes Life So Much Easier or you can say ‘Semi-Homemade Pizza’
- 4 Medium Flatbread – cooked
- 1/4 Cup Pesto
- 1 Cup White Mushrooms – cleaned and quartered
- 1 Medium Red Onion – thinly sliced
- 1/4 Cup Cherry Tomatoes – halved
- 1/2 Cup Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Emmental Cheese – or any other you like
- 1 Tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 Tsp Chili Flakes – more or less as per taste
- Salt – as per taste
- Pepper – as per taste
- Herb Oil – Optional to drizzle on top
Summer started slightly late this year and with this being the first weekend after back-to-school started, many of our loved ones needed some extra TLC 😉
So, I decided it’s time to turn on the grill (oven along with it ;), chill some wine and call them over to a homemade pizza party.
Even before I could discuss the idea with all, the news spread like crazy and almost everyone responded with a ‘YES’.
Geeez… I made about 20 pizzas and we literally had so many bottles chilled that I NEED a Separate Wine Chiller Now.
I chilled a variety of wines from CK Mondavi & Family (as we are starting at noon and the party will go on till dusk):
- Pinot Grigio – Fresh & Crisp Texture
- Merlot – Silky & Smooth Texture
- Cabernet Sauvignon – Rich & Velvety Texture
But with my Quick Pesto Mushroom Flatbread Pizza, I’m serving the chilled ‘Pinot Grigio’.
The pizza has a slightly buttery finish to it as I’m drizzling a special ‘Tuscon Herb Oil’ on it before serving.
One bite of it and you’d have an explosion of delicious – buttery Italian flavors in your mouth and the fresh-crisp Pinot Grigio is simply DIVINE with it.
The CK Mondavi & Family Pinot Grigio is a medium-bodied wine filled with aromas of wildflowers, peaches, and pears.
Now, coming back to our Quick Pesto Mushroom Flatbread Pizza, it’s soooo easy to make that you’d really wonder why didn’t you ever try it at home earlier!
Now, most days, I would make the dough from scratch, make the homemade pesto, and go about the pizza.
Once the secret ingredients are gathered, I quickly gather the toppings, Mushroom, Red Onions, Tomato and Seasoning.
You can definitely call it ‘Mushroom, Tomato & Caramelized Onion Pesto Pizza’ as well but I prefer the easy Quick Pesto Mushroom Flatbread Pizza 🙂
Once the Pizza is baked, I just placed everything in the extremely gorgeous ‘Pizza Stone’ sent to me by my dear CK Mondavi & Family along with a pizza slicer!
Variations to Pizza Ingredients:
Flatbread – you can use regular pizza dough (raw/cooked) or even tandoori naan as base
Pesto – store-bought or homemade
White Mushrooms (Button Mushroom) – you can use any mushrooms of choice.
Cherry Tomatoes – I’m using cherry tomatoes but any fresh tomatoes or sun-dried ones are good too.
Mozzarella Cheese – this is a must for my pizza’s but you can skip if you have to and add any other cheese.
Emmental Cheese – use any other you like
Herb Oil – you can use any choice of oil for drizzling on top like fresh olive oil or any other flavored oil you like.
Even before I could announce, the meal is ready, I could see a huge smile on everyone’s faces as the smell from the kitchen had already sent the message much before.
So we poured the wines and enjoyed the rest of the Sunday with loved ones, delicious food and some really smooth n wonderful wine.
I would highly recommend you check the Store Locator for getting these CK Mondavi & Family wines for your next gathering.
The wines taste amazing and are prized perfectly to serve in small/large gatherings. They have a great variety to choose from too.
Tried Our Recipe – AWESOME!!!
Now Quickly SNAP A PICTURE & TAG :
#easycookingwithmolly + @easycookingwithmolly on Instagram –>
:: You May Also Like ::
- 4 Medium Flatbread - cooked
- 1/4 Cup Pesto
- 1 Cup White Mushrooms - cleaned and quartered
- 1 Medium Red Onion - thinly sliced
- 1/4 Cup Cherry Tomatoes - halved
- 1/2 Cup Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Emmental Cheese - or any other you like
- 1 Tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 Tsp Chili Flakes - more or less as per taste
- Salt - as per taste
- Pepper - as per taste
- Herb Oil - Optional to drizzle on top
Cook the Mushrooms & Caramelize the Onions:
- Heat a skillet/pan and add 1tsp of herb oil or any light oil.
- Add the quartered mushroom and saute till lightly cooked (takes 3-4 minutes over medium flames).
- Once cooked, remove from skillet.
- In the same skillet add sliced onions and 1/2 tsp herb oil.
- Saute over medium heat until pink or slightly caramelized.
- Remove from skillet and cool.
Preheat the oven at 200F
- Take each flatbread and add 1tbsp pesto sauce on it.
- Now, evenly coat the pesto all over the flatbread.
- Now add cheese, cooked mushrooms, tomatoes, and caramelized onions.
- Sprinkle Italian seasoning, red chili flakes, salt, and pepper on top.
- Place the pizza in the oven and bake for 10 minutes (I baked all 4 pizza together in two separate rows).
- After 10 minutes or when the pizza is cooked, turn off the oven and remove the pizza.
- Place the pizza on serving platter and slice each pizza into the quarter. (you may sprinkle some more herbed oil on top for special taste).
- Serve with wine and enjoy
Flatbread - you can use regular pizza dough (raw/cooked) or even tandoori naan as base
Pesto - store-bought or homemade
White Mushrooms (Button Mushroom) - you can use any mushrooms of choice.
Cherry Tomatoes - I'm using cherry tomatoes but any fresh tomatoes or sun-dried ones are good too.
Mozzarella Cheese - this is a must for my pizza's but you can skip if you have to and add any other cheese.
Emmental Cheese - use any other you like
Herb Oil - you can use any choice of oil for drizzling on top like fresh olive oil or any other flavored oil you like.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 297Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 547mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 11g
Paired with CK Mondavi & Family Wines, it’s the perfect pairing for any Summer gatherings or grill.
This post is written in partnership with CK Mondavi and Family. As always, the opinions here are all my own.