Instant Pot Chana Masala: extremely light, delicious and quick recipe using chole (chickpeas/chana) and indian spices. Also known as Instant Pot Indian Chickpea Stew, chole masala, Punjabi chole, it can be served with bread, steamed rice, naan or even salad.
We have been eating so much heavy food for the last few weeks that a good light or holistic meal is all that we needed.So, this Instant Pot Chana Masala or Instant Pot Indian Chickpea Stew was such a delightful and refreshing change.
Growing up in New Delhi, chole or chana made quite a frequent appearance in our everyday meal and it’s one of the major ingredients of Punjabi cuisine.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Chana Masala:
- Chana – also known as chole or chickpeas is a glutenfree legume.
- Indian Masala – Mix of Onion, Tomato, Garlic and Ginger
- Indian Spices – turmeric, salt, garam masala, red chili powder
How to Make Instant Pot Chana Masala?
So these Instant Pot Chana Masala always hit that comfort food spot for us and making them in the instant pot reduces the cooking time to even lesser time.
Also, for this recipe, I’m using canned, low sodium – organic garbanzo beans/chickpeas.
This also removes an extra step of soaking the dry chickpeas overnight and then steaming them once-twice till they are half cooked.
Most of the chana or chole recipes that you would come across or have had, would be made using lots of spices, onions, tomato or a thick curry base.
But this Stew is a light, almost rustic style chana preparation with bare minimum spices/ingredients.
Also, they work as a great #mealprep meal as well and I usually have them along with a bowl of rice, some chopped cherry tomatoes and purple cabbage.
It’s a great mix of freshness, light flavors, and deliciousness.
So if you’re looking for that light, easy-peasy recipe then you’ve come to the right place 🙂
Tried Our Recipe – AWESOME!!!
Now Quickly SNAP A PICTURE & TAG :
#easycookingwithmolly + @easycookingwithmolly on Instagram –>
Connect with Me Here: Facebook / Pinterest / Instagram
:: You May Also Like ::
Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas Curry using Coconut Milk
Instant Pot Gobi Masala – Cauliflower in Indian Spices (V+GF)
Instant Pot Dal Tadka Recipe (15 Minutes)
Instant Pot Chana Masala - Instant Pot Indian Chickpea Stew
Instant Pot Chana Masala: extremely light, delicious and quick recipe using chole (chickpeas/chana) and Indian spices. Also known Instant Pot Indian Chickpea Stew, chole masala or light Punjabi chole, it can be served with bread, steamed rice, naan or even salad.
- 1 Can Chickpeas
- 1.5 Cups Water
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2 Large Tomatoes
- 1 Large Onion
- 1 Tsp Chopped Ginger
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- ½ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Cumin Powder
- 2 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp Ginger Powder - or use 1/2 tsp shredded ginger
- ½ Tsp Indian red chili powder - use as per taste
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala - optional
- 2 cups Cooked Brown Rice - use any variety of rice or grain of choice
- 1/2 cup Cherry Tomatoes - sliced
- 1/2 cup Purple Cabbage - sliced
How to make Instant Pot Chana Masala - Indian Chickpea Stew
- In a food blender, add tomatoes, onion, ginger, and garlic. Pulse to form a smooth paste (may add 1tbsp water if need be).
- Heat Instant Pot in 'Saute Mode’.
- Heat oil and add cumin seeds.
- Saute the cumin seeds for 10-12 seconds using a wooden spatula.
- Now, add all the spices and saute for 2-3 minutes until evenly mixed.
- Add the tomato-onion paste and saute for another 2 minutes (you’ll see oil separate from the corner).
- Add canned chickpeas and saute everything together.
- Now add water and saute everything evenly making sure the spices/oil are scrapped and mixed from the edges of the pot.
- Cook on 'Manual' Mode’ for 5 minutes.
- Let pressure release naturally and remove the pot cover carefully.
- Instant Pot Chana Masala is ready to serve.
- In 2-3 bowls, add cooked rice in the bottom.
- Now add a 1-2 ladle of the cooked chana masala and top with sliced cherry tomatoes and cabbage.
- Serve hot or keep in air-tight boxes as meal prep.
Chickpeas - I’m using low-sodium, organic beans
Olive oil - you may use butter or ghee too
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 210Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 1521mgSodium: 400mgCarbohydrates: 60gFiber: 15gSugar: 09gProtein: 17g
3 Replies to "Instant Pot Chana Masala - Instant Pot Indian Chickpea Stew"
Kim February 19, 2020 (2:48 pm)
How much cumin seeds do I need? Cumin seeds are not on the ingredient list.
Molly Kumar February 19, 2020 (2:57 pm)
Hello Kim, you’d need ‘1Tsp of Cumin Seeds’ – thanks, Molly
Sam May 4, 2018 (7:50 pm)
The important part in this recipe is it’s one of the few to use canned chana as opposed to dry. The water amount and cooking time worked very well. I added a full can of unsalted tomato purée and lowered the water to accommodate.