Shahi Saffron Pistachio Seviyan: thick, creamy and filled with delicious flavors of saffron, pistachio, almond and rosewater for that perfect Diwali or Festive dessert.
Shahi Saffron Pistachio Seviyan (Easy Diwali Dessert)
Call it by any name sevvaiyaan, shemai, vermicili kheer – it’s absolutely divine.
Diwali is two days away and I’m ready for my absolute favorite Indian dessert recipe – Shahi Saffron Pistachio Seviyan .
This dessert alone can be a star of any of your Diwali or festive party and trust me, you’d get endless compliments on this one with minimum effort!
But, there’s always that one or two recipes where you just want to go all out.
This Shahi Saffron Pistachio Seviyan recipe is one such recipe where I’m going all out in terms of taste but I’m still trying my best to keep it lighter….
Maybe keep that space for that 1 extra samosa or kebab or whatever your heart desire 🙂
Seviyan or Sevaia or Shemai are one of the same things and at many places also known as vermicelli.
They are a form of noodles thin or thick but for this particular recipe, I’m using thin seviyan as they cook fast and adds a very delicate look to the dessert.
Also, just like the thick or thin size of the seviyan, it differs in consistency too…some like it thick and some like it thin.
For me, I like it thick, creamy and aromatic in every bite and today, I’m going to share some extremely easy tips on making them perfectly and quickly everytime.
Tips for Making the Perfect Seviyan:
Always roast the seviyan in ghee over low heat (prevent from burning and slow roasting brings out a nutty flavor to it).
Add 1 crushed pod of green cardamom (without the coating) while roasting the seviyan for that extra flavor.
Roast pistachio (any other nut) along with seviyan for that aromatic and nutty taste.
Always keep the ratio of 1:2 (seviyan: milk) for thickness as seviyan gets thick after boiling in milk for some time.
Add 1 TBSP plain milk powder to thicken the seviyan without much boiling.
So, these are some of my favorite tips that I keep in mind while making this Shahi Saffron Pistachio Seviyan.
I hope this Diwali/Festive Season, you try my Saffron Pistachio Recipe recipe !!!
:: You May Also Like ::
DID YOU TRY MY RECIPE – AWESOME!!!
Now Quickly SNAP A PICTURE & TAG :
#easycookingwithmolly + @easycookingwithmolly on Instagram –> As I Loooove to see you recreate my recipes.
- 1 cup Broken Seviyan/Vermicelli
- 2.5 Cup Whole Milk
- 1.5 Tbsp Ghee
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- 4-5 Pinch of Saffron threads - soaked in 2 tbsp warm milk
- ¼ Cup Pistachio - chopped
- ¼ tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1.5 Tbsp Milk Powder
- 1 Small Silver Edible Leaf
- Heat ghee in a deep non-stick pan.
- Add seviyan and roast it for 2-3 minutes on low flame.
- Now add 1 curhsed cardamom, 2tbsp pistachio and roast for a minute.
- Add milk, soaked saffron, stir it continuously till milk comes to a boil and then reduce the heat to low.
- Let the seviyan simmer in milk for 3-4 minutes (stir every 1 minute).
- Now, add sugar and boil milk till it becomes slightly thicker.
- Mix 2tbsp water in dry milk powder and make a paste.
- Stir this milk powder paste and mix evenly in the cooked seviyan.
- Increase the heat to high and bring to boil.
- Turn off the heat and let this sit for 2-3 minutes (this thickens the seviyan and makes it extra creamy).
- Transfer the cooked seviyan to a serving bowl.
- Tops with chopped pistachio, some saffron strands and silver leaf.
- Serve it cold or hot as per you choice.
Amount Per ServingCalories 156 Total Fat 9g Saturated Fat 4g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 4g Cholesterol 19mg Sodium 71mg Carbohydrates 15g Fiber 1g Sugar 14g Protein 5g