Creamy, Rich and Flavorful Instant Pot Coconut Rice Pudding is a glutenfree, vegan rice pudding made using coconut milk, rice, cardamom, coconut sugar and decorated with pistachio – rose petals. It can be served hot or cold and can be made a day in advance.
The weekend is almost here and I’m so ready to dive straight into something sweet, like this ‘Instant Pot Coconut Rice Pudding’ !!!
Desserts are my weakness like many of us 😉 and I’m always looking at ways to make them healthier or incases where it’s not possible to do some kind of adjustment so that I can have that extra second helping.
So for this Instant Pot Coconut Rice Pudding, I turned it into a ‘vegan rice pudding’ and used coconut sugar to make it slightly less sugary and low calorie.
Ingredients for the Instant Pot Coconut Rice Pudding:
- Rice – I love using broken or short-grain rice for puddings as they cook up fast and adds thickness.
- Coconut Milk – I’m using the full-fat canned coconut milk as the carton ones are too thin.
- Nut Milk – apart from coconut milk, I add some nut milk to the Instant Pot version to prevent burning the milk when cooking.
- Coconut Sugar – it adds so much more flavor to this rice pudding but you can use regular sugar or sugar substitutes too.
- Coconut Powder – this is totally optional, but again adds to the flavor and thickness of pudding.
- Cardamom Powder – adds flavor and gives a nice sweet bite.
So, as you can see, our ingredients list is not much and everything on the list is customizable.
You can change the sugar and even the short-grain rice with whichever ones you like.
The Process to Make Instant Pot Coconut Rice Pudding:
Since it’s a quick instant pot version, the process is extremely simple and can be mostly dumped and start electric cooking.
But that’s when some ‘Major Flavor’ happens and that is whether you ‘roast the rice’ slightly or not.
Yup, you read it right and that’s the Biggest Trick to an Aromatic and Delicious Rice Pudding.
So, if you follow my previous pudding/kheer recipe, I ALWAYS roast the rice slighty and then add everything else.
- In this version, I’m using some Coconut Oil to roast the rice first (for about a minute).
- Then whisk in the milk, sugar and cardamom powder.
- Turn on the Instant Pot at Porridge Setting and let it do its own cooking
- Once the timer goes off, release steam using manual pressure release.
- Always and I mean always be very careful opening the lid as all the steam (even after releasing) rushes straight to your face.
- Then mix the content once and do a small taste test (yup, absolutely necessary).
- Transfer to serving bowls or individual cups.
- Decorate with choice of nuts, in my case, I’m using Pistachios & Rose Petals.
- Serve and Enjoy.
This Instant Pot Coconut Rice Pudding is really extremely easy to make and can be made on a stovetop / slow cooker or rice cooker too.
I’ve tried all these different cooking options and it tastes equally good in all of them. Since Instant-Pot is right there in my kitchen counter, I mostly use this version nowadays.
For anyone looking for a quick party or festive dessert, this recipe is a perfect fit as it’s minimal efforts with great flavors and feeds a crowd too.
You can easily increase the quantity and the best part, make it a day or two in advance.
You can store this coconut milk rice pudding in a glass or fridge container. Sometimes I store it in serving dish and take it out right before serving.
This recipe is completely Vegan and few days back someone asked me ‘Is Rice Glutenfree’? And that is absolutely correct.
Tried Our Recipe – AWESOME!!!
Now Quickly SNAP A PICTURE & TAG :
#easycookingwithmolly + @easycookingwithmolly on Instagram –>
:: You May Also Like ::
- 1 Cup Rice - you may use any short-grain white rice.
- 1 Can Coconut Milk
- 1 Cup Light Nut Milk - can use cashew or almond
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil - you may use ghee if non-vegan
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Sugar - you can use sugar or substitute*
- 1/4 Cup Shredded Coconut - dry coconut powder
- 4 Tbsp Chopped Pistachio
- 1 Pinch Cardamom Powder - can use crushed
- 1 Tbsp Dry Edible Rose Petals
Wash the rice in running water, sieve and keep aside.
How to Make Instant Pot Kheer (Indian Rice Pudding)
- Turn Instant Pot to Sauté mode.
- Add coconut oil to the instant pot and stir.
- Add rinsed rice and saute for a minute.
- Add the coconut milk, cashew milk, water, coconut powder, cardamom, coconut sugar (or any other sugar/sugar substitute) and stir everything together.
- Close the Instant-Pot lid with the pressure valve to sealing.
- Press the Porridge button and cook for 10 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, allow Natural Pressure Release.
- Open the lid carefully and stir nicely.
- Transfer to a serving bowl or individual bowl.
- Add some chopped pistachio, cardamom and rose petals on top (optional)
- Serve Warm or Cold.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 750Total Fat: 51gSaturated Fat: 36gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 157mgCarbohydrates: 70gFiber: 5gSugar: 26gProtein: 9g