Broccoli Fish in Sweet Spicy Sauce: Mouthwatering recipe to please your sweet-spicy tastebuds.
Restaurant style but made at the comfort of your home.
This Broccoli Fish in Sweet Spicy Sauce is my super quick recipe when I need a meal ready in 20 minutes and it’s also one of the comfort food recipes, we have grown up eating in Delhi.
I mean whenever you say ‘Chinese food + fish’ in Delhi, your options are either:
Chili Fish or
Sweet-Spicy Fish (aka. Broccoli Fish in Sweet Spicy Sauce )
And this particular version is available in India or the neighboring countries.
It’s also a great choice when you end up buying 3 pounds of broccoli and 3 pounds of fish from your local convenience store (lol)
Cuse you just can’t help but let go those super savers 😉
Yes, that happened to us this week and I realized ‘WHAT‘ exactly I had done when we were trying to store everything in our already overflowing fridge!
So guess what our brunch menu might look like … Bazinga!
Now, I have been making this recipe since I was 17, and no, I’m not telling you how many years it has been until – (Ha Ha) and I can probably cook this even in my sleep.
The beautiful orange color you’re seeing is from the chili-garlic schezwan sauce (recipe here) that I’ve used and the broccoli is lightly sauteed with the mix, once the sauce n fish is ready.
The taste comes from the shallow fried fish which has been marinated in a spicy batter and you can go a notch up or down depending on your spice level.
This recipe is a perfect combination of sweet and spicy with delicious flavors.
This Broccoli Fish in Sweet-Spicy Sauce is usually served with plain rice or you can do a light stir-fry rice or serve it with any other side like quinoa/noodles and even bread.
(I’ve had it with baguette once…as I was super lazy to cook anything more than this).
Try this Broccoli Fish in Sweet-Spicy Sauce soon and kick-start your weekend or weekday meal.
What are your weekend plans? Are you visiting someplace new or just chilling with friends/family at home?
I’ve not yet decided but I’m definitely not buying any more products for this week for sure 😉
As always, I Looove when you try my recipes and send me pictures & feedback.
You can tag my recipes tried by you using #easycookingwithmolly on any of the social media below:
- 1 Lb Tilapia Fillet - cut into bite size pieces
- 2 Cups Broccoli - cut into bite size pieces
- 2 Medium Onion - you can use any variety - cut into bite size pieces
- 1 Tsp Ginger Paste
- 1 Tsp Garlic Paste
- 2 Tbsp Schezwan Sauce - use more or less as per taste - I'm using homemade sauce, the recipe is in the post.
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 3 Tbsp Cup Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Oil - for shallow frying the fish
- 3 Tbsp Oil - for making the recipe
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 Tsp White Pepper Powder - Optional
- 1 Tbsp CornStarch - Optional - to thicken the sauce
- 1/2 Cup Water - for the sauce
- -- Fish Marination --
- 4 Tbsp AP Flour
- 1 Tsp Schezwan Sauce - use as per taste
- 1/2 Tsp Ginger+Garlic Paste - combined
- Salt to Taste
- 1/2 Cup Water - enough to marinate everything together
-- Prepping the Fish --
- In a large bowl, add fish marination ingredients, mix everything to a smooth paste.
- Heat 1/2 cup oil in a medium pan.
- Lightly drop the marinated fish one by one (3-4 pieces at a time) and shallow fry till you get a golden crust (takes about 2 minutes).
- Remove and continue to fry till all the fish is fried.
- Keep the fish on paper towel to soak any excess oil.
-- Making the Main Recipe --
- In a pan, add 3 tbsp oil and let it heat for a minute.
- Add garlic+ginger paste and saute for 1/2 minute.
- Now, add the onions and saute till they slightly change color (about 2 minutes).
- Add, broccoli and saute for a minute on high flames.
- In a bowl, mix soy sauce, schezwan sauce, salt, pepper, honey, water and mix evenly.
- Add this sauce to the cooked veggies and give it a quick toss/saute.
- Now add the fried fish, saute everything lightly and cover cook for about 2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Decorate with fresh green onions (optional) and Serve Hot.
Amount Per ServingCalories 206 Total Fat 8g Saturated Fat 1g Sodium 9522mg Carbohydrates 22g Sugar 14g Protein 10g