Mughlai Lamb Shami Kebab: succulent, spicy, melt in your mouth ‘Shahi Kebab’ .
Mughlai Lamb Shami Kebab – minced lamb kebabs
They are made of minced lamb, spices and lightly sauteed in a mix of oil and ghee. And one of the gem recipes from the World famous Mughlai cuisine.
This Mughlai Lamb Shami Kebab recipe is inspired from my recent visit to Lucknow, which apart from being the land of nawabs can also be called the ‘Kebab City’.
Every street has some form or the other of kebab corner/shop. The most famous being ‘Tunde ke Kebab‘ which is now over a 100 yrs old and was started by a one arm chef.
It’s located in the ‘chowk‘ area and you really need to be prepared to handle the spice level in it cause its Amazingly HOT !
It’s like an endless galore of food-food and more food when you are in Lucknow and their cuisine is also called ‘Awadhi’ which has a heavy Mughlai influence.
Now coming back to our STAR recipe, Mughlai Lamb Shami Kebab which are traditionally super spicy and made in pure ghee or clarified butter.
I’ve definitely modified the recipe by reducing the spice level (feel free to increase or decrease as per taste) and I’m cooking them with a mix of oil and ghee…..although, you can make them entirely in ghee.
I’ve made those versions and they taste equally delicious.
The kebabs need some kind of binder to hold them together while cooking hence I’m adding cornstarch but you can add regular flour or even breadcrumbs.
They also work as a fantastic ‘Freeze for later use’ recipe too. Just cook the mixture and store in the freezer bag for upto 2 months.
Just thaw them overnight in the fridge or for atleast 4-5 hrs at room temperature.
I can go on about these kebabs for hours as they are our absolute favorite and we usually have them with:
Freshly Cooked Thin Paratha’s
Lots of Chopped Onions & Fresh Lime.
This time we actually served them with some fresh purple cabbage salad along with chilled beer and they were all gone within few minutes.
I hope you give them a try soon as I promise you they are super easy yet absolutely delicious. Make them once and you would be wanting more of it.
:: You May Also Like ::
Tried Our Recipe – AWESOME!!!
Now Quickly SNAP A PICTURE & TAG :
#easycookingwithmolly + @easycookingwithmolly on Instagram –>
- 1 lb Lamb Mince* - See Notes
- 1 Cup Split Yellow Peas - soaked for 10 minutes
- 1 Large Onion
- 2 Clove Garlic
- 1 Small Chunk of Ginger
- 1/2 Large Green Chilies – Deseeded
- 1 Cup Water – 4 Tbsp Less
- 1 Egg
- 4 Tbsp Cornstarch or Rice Flour
- 4 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Ghee (Optional)
- 1 Large Bay Leaf
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 3 Whole Red Chilies – Deseeded
- 2 Black Cardamom – Slightly Broken
- 4 Green Cardamom – Slightly Broken
- 4 Black Peppers
- 4 Cloves
- 1/4 Cinnamon Stick
- 1/4 Tsp Mace
- 3 Tsp salt – Per Taste
- In a small bowl, mix oil and ghee together to form an even consistency.
- In a pan, roast cumin, peppers, black cardamon, cloves for a minute. Keep aside.
- In a large pressure cooker, add lamb, onion, ginger, garlic, peas(dal), chilies and water.
- Now add the roasted spices and all the remaining spices.
- Close the lid and pressure cook on high till 4 whistles and turn off the heat,( About 5-6 minutes).
- ** (If using a Pot, please boil all the mentioned Ingredients together, till the water is almost absorbed and a mix is formed).
- Grind the boiled mixture to a paste without adding any extra water.
- Add egg, cornflour to the ground mixture and mix evenly.
- Make small to medium size kebabs & refrigerate for a minimum of 20 minutes. (This helps firm the kebabs).
- Heat a nonstick pan and add 1 tbsp oil mix.
- Place 4-5 kebabs and lightly saute till they are crispy brown on both sides (add more oil if need be).
- Similarly, saute all the kebabs to a crispy slightly reddish brown texture.
- Transfer the cooked kebabs to a plate and serve along some freshly chopped onions and lemons.
Mughlai Lamb Shami Kebab
Serving Size6-7 People
Amount Per ServingCalories 454 Total Fat 29g Saturated Fat 10g Cholesterol 66mg Sodium 1216mg Carbohydrates 28g Sugar 1g Protein 21g