Cabbage Moong Dal Pakoda or Moong Lentil Fritters are popular fried Indian snacks made using moong dal batter, cabbage, onion, herbs, and seasoning. Crispy on the outside and soft inside, they are perfect for your gatherings big or small.
These Pakoda/Fritters are my absolute favorite snack, especially during the rainy season.
They are lighter than our ‘besan pakora/chickpea fritters’ as chickpeas are slightly heavy to digest.
Also, adding cabbage to these Moong Dal Bhajiya (another name for it) makes them endlessly crave-able.
Ingredients for Cabbage Moong Dal Pakoda:
The ingredients are as follows:
Cabbage – thinly chopped
Yellow Moong Dal – soaked in water for a minimum of 2 hrs or more and then batter made out of it.
Onion – thinly chopped
Mixed Herbs – like mint, cilantro or you can use either of them.
Green Chili – thinly chopped (optional)
Spices – salt, turmeric, red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala
How To Make Moong Lentil Fritters:
Once we have these simple ingredients, we start by first sieving the water from soaked moong dal (keep aside a cup for using in batter).
Then we grind the Moong Dal in a thick batter.
Then add chopped cabbage, onion, herbs, and spices.
Mix everything evenly.
Now, heat oil in a pan.
Using a large spoon or hand, add 6-7 fritter size batter in the hot oil (be careful with hot oil).
Let this fry in medium heat for 2-3 minutes until golden brown on both sides.
Once done, remove the hot Moong dal pakora to a kitchen towel to soak any excess oil.
Transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy with favorite chutney like below:
Tried Our Recipe – AWESOME!!!
Now Quickly SNAP A PICTURE & TAG :
#easycookingwithmolly + @easycookingwithmolly on Instagram –>
:: You May Also Like ::
- 3 Cups Yellow Moong Dal
- 6 Cups Water - to soak moong dal for 2 hrs.
- 1/2 Large Cabbage - thinly chopped
- 1 Large Onion - thinly chopped
- 1/2 Cup Mix of Cilantro and Mint - thinly chopped
- 1 Large Green Chili - thinly chopped (optional)
- 2 Cups Oil - for frying
- 2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 Tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp Ginger Powder
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala - optional
- In a large bowl add 3 cups of moong dal along with 6 cups of water.
- Let this soak for a minimum of 2hrs or for 4-5 hrs if time permits.
- After 2hrs, sieve the water (keep 1 cup separately).
- Using a grinder, add 3 cups soaked moong dal + 1 cup water and grind to a thick paste.
- This takes 5 minutes to evenly grind.
- Keep the paste aside.
How to Make Cabbage Moong Dal Pakoda:
- In a large bowl, add moong dal batter, chopped cabbage, onion, herbs, spices and mix everything evenly.
- Heat 2 cups oil in a large pot / Kadai
- Using a large spoon, pour the batter in fritter shapes (accommodate 7-8 fritters at a time).
- Using a spatula, fry the fritters evenly on both sides until dark golden brown. (medium heat).
- Similarly, fry all the batches and keep on a kitchen towel to soak any extra oil.
- Transfer the fritters to a serving bowl and enjoy.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 840Total Fat: 76gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 68gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1112mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 12gSugar: 6gProtein: 11g