This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and Constellation Brands. All opinions are mine alone. The following content is intended for readers who are 21 or older. #CervezaCelebration #CollectiveBias
Chipotle Chicken and Black Bean Empanadas: Perfect party food recipe with a delicious buttery shell that’s filled with a spicy-savory mix of chicken, black beans, veggies and chipotle seasoning.
The dough and filling can be kept frozen(separately) for a week and thawed overnight in the fridge. This recipe makes 16 medium empanadas.
I’m so excited about this year’s ‘Cinco de Mayo’ celebrations as I’m in charge of the snacks and drinks menu at my friend’s annual Cinco party.
So I’m creating our family favorite recipe Chipotle Chicken and Black Bean Empanadas.
They are just the perfect finger food and goes so well with our theme and drinks.
We have been making so many plans and are almost done with the decoration and drinks shopping.
After a lot of discussion over drinks where the guys specially pitched in, we finally have two major winners – Corona Extra and Modelo Especial which we bought from our local grocery store.
You can see the men already decided to taste test a few as it’s meant to be a part of happy times, while we were making the empanadas 😉
Before, we go ahead with our Chipotle Chicken and Black Bean Empanadas recipe, here’s why we chose these two beers:
We love it for It’s a fruity-honey aroma with a touch of malt.
The flavor is crisp, clean and well-balanced because of its superior ingredients – the finest-quality blend of filtered water, malted barley, hops, corn, and yeast.
It’s perfect to serve in parties or just a simple evening with a chilled beer and you.
It’s a beer born with the Fighting Spirit. It’s brewed with time, effort, and determination to create the model Mexican lager.
It has a well-balanced, crisp, and clean taste. It’s characterized by an orange blossom honey aroma with a hint of herb.
So those were some fun facts about both are drinks and here’s a quick look at what we need to make the empanadas and the filling:
The recipe for the Chipotle Chicken and Black Bean Empanadas is extremely easy but true to our Cinco de Mayo celebrations…it tastes like a fiesta in baked pockets of shells.
For the empanadas shell/crust, I’m using a regular biscuit dough (you can make your own or buy one from a store).
For the filling, I’m combining spring veggie mixes like green beans, carrots, onion, capsicum, jalapeno along with chicken, black beans, and chipotle seasoning.
I’m adding 3-4 tablespoon of hot sauce too for that extra kick of spiciness but it’s completely optional and them once the filling is made and cooled, I added some Mexican cheese mix.
Once all this is done, you can make the empanadas right away (a process in the pic below) or you can freeze the filling (for 1 week) and dough separately.
Once you’re ready to make the empanadas, just thaw everything overnight or you can thaw the dough for 2-3hrs and defrost the filling in the microwave.
Now, once, you have decided to make the empanadas and given them these half-moon shape with crinkled edges (use hands or fork to make them), then comes the fun part 🙂
If you’ve eaten empanadas in the bakery and wondering ‘How do they get this perfectly golden-brown crust?’ –
The answer is ‘brushing the top of the empanadas with a mixture of egg+butter’!
Seriously, it’s like a best-kept secret in many bakeries for that extra crisp golden crust.
Once, the empanadas are baked, they turn into these absolutely gorgeous orange-gold color and your kitchen smells no less than a bakery.
The smell itself will make you want to eat 2-3 of these Chipotle Chicken and Black Bean Empanadas right away 🙂
Here are some pictures for you to see how gorgeous these empanadas look:
We had so much fun sharing this recipe with you along with our two favorite beer.
Hope you make this recipe soon and enjoy them with a chilled Corona or Modelo for that true “Saber Vivir” ( knowing how to live”) spirit.
Here’s where I found the Beer at my local store (Drinks Section – Fridge) :
: Try Some More Appetizer :
As always, I Looove when you try my recipes and send me pictures & feedback.
You can tag my recipes tried by you using #easycookingwithmolly on any of the social media below:
- 1 Biscuit Dough - (homemade or store bought) 8 count - thawed
- 1 Egg - for brushing the empanadas
- 1 Tsp Butter - for egg wash
- 2 Chicken Breasts - cooked and shredded
- 1/2 Cup Black Beans - I’m using canned beans - washed
- 1/2 Large Onion - chopped
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Green Beans
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Carrots
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Green Bell Pepper
- 1 Medium Jalapeno - chopped
- 2 Tbsp Hot Sauce
- 4 Tbsp Mexican Cheese Mix
- 2 Tbsp Chipotle Flavored Spice - homemade or store bought
- Salt - as per taste
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 190F
- Making the Filling::
- Heat oil in a skillet and add chopped onions.
- Saute onions till golden brown, then add black beans and saute for 2 minutes over medium flames.
- Now, add beans and carrot and saute-cook for another 3-4 minutes (sautéing every 2 minutes over medium flames).
- Add green bell peppers, shredded chicken, chipotle spice, hot sauce, salt and saute everything evenly.
- Cook this mixture for another 4-5 minutes while stirring every minute.
- Turn off the heat and let the mixture cool.
- Add the Mexican cheese and mix everything evenly.
- Making the Empanadas::
- In a small bowl, whisk egg + butter together.
- Take 1 biscuit dough ball and divide it into 2 parts.
- Roll one part in a circular shape and hold the disc in your hand.
- Take 2 tbsp of filling and place it on the middle of the circle.
- Dab the egg mix on the edges of the circular disc and close the circle to form a half moon shape (empanada).
- Place the uncooked empanada on a flat surface and press the back of a fork along the rounded edge to further seal and create a pattern, and place on one of the prepared baking sheets.
- Follow the above steps till all empanadas are filled and placed on baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown in color.
- Remove the empanadas from oven and place on serving tray.
- Sprinkle with some freshly chopped cilantro, add choice of dips and serve fresh.
Amount Per ServingCalories 426 Total Fat 29g Carbohydrates 19g Protein 22g