“Chicken Dopiaza or Do Pyaza” in literal translation means chicken in two onions however it’s completely opposite of 2onions 🙂
“Dopiaza” actually means double/twice the quantity of onion used in any regular meat dish & added in two stages of the whole process….Phew !!!
So you have lots of onions to peel and cut into long n thin slices 🙂 hopefully without crying.
This dish is very famous for its mild addicting flavor which arises from the combination of the whole spices along with kasoori methi & yogurt. I’m decorating it with pickled red peppers but that is optional.
PS:Please DO NOT:
- Add tomatoes to this dish as it completely takes away the rich aromatic flavor of onion which is the main ingredient of this whole recipe (DOPIAZA).
- Add any TURMERIC as the gravy takes the color from mixed spices & oil.
Serving Suggestion: Can be served with Roti’s or Rice
nonstick wok with lid
Large Serving Dish
½ Chicken – Cut into bite sizes pieces *
- Heat oil and ghee in a large
nonstick over high flames for 1min.
- Now add all “Whole Seed Spices” and as soon as
they start to crackle, add onions.
- Saute onions over medium
heat for 4-5min or till they are light pink in color. (Keep aside 1/4 cup of pink sauteed onions)
- Now add garlic cloves,
ginger paste and sauté for another min over high heat.
- Add chicken, “Powdered Spices” and sauté for
- Reduce the heat to low, Cover
the nonstick with lid and cook for 8-9min.
- Remove the lid and sauté
the chicken(it should be tender &
almost cooked if using boneless).
- Add water, cover with
lid and cook for another 2-3min.
- Now add whipped yogurt (make
sure the yogurt is added in low heat to prevent it from curdling)
- Saute for 1-2min or till
it boils, then turn off the flames.
- Transfer in serving
dish, decorate with pickled red peppers & sauteed pink onions.
- Serve Hot.