Immunity Booster Drink Recipe (Immunity Kadha): herbal immunity booster drink or kadha (decoction) using everyday herbs and spices. This can be made once and consumed for 3-4 days. Perfect for cough/cold too.
What is Immunity Booster Drink or Kadha:
Happy New Year to you and your loved ones 🙂 Come January, we get into our ‘New Year Resolutions’ zone and most of us like every year want to become healthier and happier.
However, this year, I did not make any resolution as I just wanted to continue doing what we usually do for so many years and that is build our Immunity further and this ‘Immunity Booster Drink’ or ‘Herbal Kadha’ is our goto recipe.
It’s a mix of herbs and spices, that’s slow simmered in water for a couple of minutes, to extract all the flavors and juices. Then the kadha/decoction is cooled down completely or used when warm to touch.
If you were born in India or an Indian household, you must have had some form of this immunity kadha as every household customizes it as per needs/availability of ingredients.
The base (water) and some spices remain the same, the rest of the ingredients can be altered. If you are drinking it for the first time, start consuming it in low quantity and then you can increase it gradually.
At our house, throughout the winters, especially during the last 2yrs, we have been drinking this on a daily basis.
Immunity Booster Drink Ingredients:
These are the basic ingredients and easily found in most houses. These can be either whole spices or powdered or mix of both:
- Turmeric (Haldi)
- Strands Saffron (kesar) – optional
- Ginger (Adrak)
- Black Pepper (Kali Mirch)
- Cinnamon (Dalchini)
- Nutmeg (Jaiphal)
- Indian Basil (Tulsi)
- Mint Leaves (Pudina)
- Fresh Lemon Juice (Nimbu Ras)
- Honey (shehad) – you can use plain sugar or even jaggery for sweetening
How to Make Immunity Drink Kadha:
The recipe is extremely easy to make and you can make a large batch and consume for 2-3 days, however, it’s recommended you make a fresh batch to drink.
- Start by boiling water in a large pot.
- Add all the spices along with herbs and simmer on low flames for 10-12 minutes.
- Keep stirring every 2 minutes.
- After 12 minutes, turn off the heat and let it become warm.
- Add honey/sweetener + lemon juice.
- Stir everything to make a smooth drink.
- Transfer to serving glasses or store in an air-tight bottle for later consumption.
- This can be kept in room temperature for 2-3 days.
Benefits of Homemade Kadha or Immunity Drink:
The first benefit is that it’s fresh, natural, and chemical or artificial preservative-free.
It’s also much more economical and you can make a large batch with the same amount of money.
All the spices used in this kadha are good in boosting our immunity and digestion.
Since, all the spices that are used are warm in their nature, hence the kadha keeps the body warm in winters.
Substitutes for Kadha Ingredients:
As mentioned above, each household has it’s own special version of kadha or immunity shots, you can mix and match these ingredients too:
Bay Leaf (tej patta)
Lemon Grass – one of my favorite ingredients for immunity tea.
Black Tea – instead of water.
Green Tea – instead of water.
Sugar or Jaggery – instead of honey.
Fennel Seeds (saunf)
Onion Seeds (kalonji)
Cumin Seeds (jeera)
Tried Our Recipe – AWESOME!!!
Now Quickly SNAP A PICTURE & TAG :
#easycookingwithmolly + @easycookingwithmolly on Instagram –>
:: You May Also Like ::
- 3 Cups Water
- 2 Tsp Turmeric Powder (haldi)
- 4-5 Strands Saffron (kesar) - optional
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Powder (sonth)
- 8 Whole Black Pepper (kali mirch)
- 1 Large Cinnamon Stick (dalchini)
- 1 Tiny piece of Nutmeg (jaiphal)
- 6 Indian Basil Leaves (tulsi patta) - optional
- 4 Mint Leaves (pudina patta)
- Juice of 1 Lemon (Nimbu Ras)
- 2 Tbsp Honey (shahed) - you can use plain sugar or even jaggery for sweetening
- Boil water in a large pot.
- Add all the spices, herbs and stir. (except lemon and honey).
- Let this simmer on low heat for 10-12 minutes.
- Stir every 2 minutes.
- After 12 minutes, turn off the heat.
- Take a large jar and sieve the kadha in it.
- Let it cool slightly, then add honey and lemon juice.
- Stir everything and pour into serving glasses.
- Enjoy first thing in the morning and late evening.
Turmeric - you can use fresh turmeric, about 1 tbsp.
Ginger - you can use fresh ginger, about 1 tbsp.
Cinnamon - you can use 1tsp of cinnamon powder.
Black Pepper - you can use 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
Basil Leaves - you can use tulsi drop too, about 4 drops.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 71Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 14mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 3gSugar: 11gProtein: 1g