Instant Bread Bhatura: quick, delicious and flakey bhatura (Indian Fried Bread) that goes perfectly with chole/curry. Made using 5 ingredients like flour, bread, yogurt and soda.
Holi, the Indian Festival of Color is around the corner and these Instant Bread Bhatura / Instant Bhatura are on top of my Holi Party meal plan.
Bhatura is an extremely popular Indian bread which is usually served with chole, you can Never and I mean Never miss the ‘Chole – Bhature‘ mention in any Indian Restaurants.
Whether India or Internationally, it’s extremely popular because of its gigantic puffed shape and one bite into you, you become a Lover of them!
Ingredients for Bhatura vs Instant Bread Bhatura
Bhatura: the traditional Bhatura or Punjabi Bhatura (as it’s popularly known), is made using flour, yeast, milk/yogurt, baking soda, sugar and salt.
Once the dough is made, it needs to be poofed for a minimum of 8+hours (for that fluffy texture).
Instant Bread Bhatura: my version requires no poofing or even yeast. Just plain flour, bread slices (not bread crumbs), yogurt, salt and baking soda.
Process of Making Instant Bread Bhatura or Instant Bhatura
Once you have these simple ingredients (which are present in most houses), your Instant bread bhatura or Instant bhatura is only 15-20 minutes away.
Simply make the dough and roll each dough ball into oval discs (any shape is fine).
Then you deep fry or shallow fry them depending on your choice.
And that’s it, your Crispy, Flakey and Puffed Golden Instant Bhatura is ready to devour.
The advantage of Using Bread in Instant Bhatura Recipe
The use of bread not only makes the bhatura (Indian Fried Bread) so light and you don’t need any yeast (as bread usually have them).
Also, it absorbs less oil and if you use ‘Sourdough Bread’, it adds so much more flavor.
As mentioned above, I usually serve it with my easiest Instant Pot Chana Masala (Chickpea Curry) Recipe but you can serve it with even sauteed vegetables / meats / any other curry too.
Tried Our Recipe – AWESOME!!!
Now Quickly SNAP A PICTURE & TAG :
#easycookingwithmolly + @easycookingwithmolly on Instagram –>
Connect with Me Here: Facebook / Pinterest / Instagram
Prep Time 7 minutes
Cook Time 12 minutes
Total Time 19 minutes
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 5 Bread Slices *
- 1 Cup Plain Yogurt
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 2 Cups Olive Oil for frying
Making the Instant Bread Bhatura Dough:
- Using a blender or magic bullet, make fine bread crumbs of the slices.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, bread crumbs, salt and baking soda.
- Start making a dough by adding yogurt (little by little).
- Smoothen the dough (you may use little water if the yogurt is too thick).
- Dough should be smooth and lump-free.
- Divide the dough into 15 equal smooth balls.
- Sprinkle little flour on a flat surface, make oval or circular disc of each ball.
Making the Instant Bread Bhatura:
- Heat 2 cups oil in a wok or deep pan.
- Take 1 oval disc/bhatura and add it into hot oil (be careful).
- Lightly press the bhatura using a spatula and turn both side.
- Soon, the bhatura would fluff up and you can then transfer the bhatura to a plate (prefer lining with paper towel to absorb any oil)..
- Similarly, fry all the bhatura.
- Server with chole or other curry/meat recipes.
Serving Size: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 352 Total Fat: 30g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 24g Cholesterol: 1mg Sodium: 143mg Carbohydrates: 19g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 2g Protein: 3g