Quintessential Dal Makhani Recipe: a mixture of black lentils (urad dal) cooked with beans, spices and essential Indian spices that result in a buttery – melt in your mouth dal.
Dal Makhani Recipe can be made in the slow cooker.
Most famous and sought-after recipe from the state of Punjab and is a default in ‘ALL’ Indian Restaurants.
Dal Makhni Recipe/ Makhani / Makhani Dal / Ma ki Dal (Indian Lentil Mix) is a recipe that actually needs no introduction to anyone who would have ever tasted Indian food or been to an Indian restaurant.
It seriously is the Quintessential comfort-food recipe especially for people coming from the Northern part of India and every household adds their special touch or flavor to it.
The ‘Dal/Lentil’ calls for few main ingredients like Black Lentil/Urad Daal, Kidney Beans/Rajma, Ginger+Garlic paste, Cream, and few more ingredients.
All these ingredients are added at just the right time to enhance the dish and make it extremely mouth-watering.
This Dal Makhani recipe is also one of those recipes which when cooked for longer becomes even more buttery and almost melts in your mouth.
Once made, it can be stored in refrigerator up to a week or frozen for a month (just thaw overnight in the fridge).
I usually love preparing this dish with few kidney beans, but it’s absolutely as per your choice.
You can even use all black lentil or mix with Split Bengal Gram/Chana Dal.
Since, this is a slow-cooked, slightly heavy recipe, hence we usually eat it on a special occasion or maybe once in 1-2 months, however, you can eat it as and when you want.
You can make the lighter version with ‘No Cream’.
If you’re a slow cooker fan, you will definitely love this even more, as all you need to do is add the ingredients and start your slow cooker.
Then carry on with your other activities while the dal gets ready (the cooking time would be exactly the same you use to cook any other lentil).
Give this Dal Makhani recipe a try this weekend and enjoy with your favorite side of bread or rice or just about any grain.
:: You May Also Like ::
Tried Our Recipe – AWESOME!!!
Now Quickly SNAP A PICTURE & TAG :
#easycookingwithmolly + @easycookingwithmolly on Instagram –>
- 2 Cup Black Lentil (Urad Dal) - I'm using whole lentil
- 1/2 Cup Kidney Beans
- 3 Large Onions - thinly chopped
- 2 Tsp Ginger+Garlic Paste - fresh or store bought
- 2 Tomatoes - thinly chopped - you can use canned/frozen or even puree/paste
- 4 Tbsp Olive Oil - you can use any light oil
- 2 Tbsp of Ghee / Butter - optional
- 1/4 Cup Cream
- 5 Cups of Water - to cook the lentils
- For Tadka / Tempuring: (Optional)
- 1 Tsp Ghee
- 1-2 Whole Red Chili
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- Pinch of Fenugreek leaves
- 2-3 Tsp Cream
* Powdered Spices *
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric
- 2 Tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tbsp Cumin Powder
- 2 Pinch Asafoetida (Hing)
- 1 Tbsp Kasoori Methi / Dry Fenugreek Leaves - optional
- 1 Tbsp Garam Masala
- 1 Tbsp Red Chili Powder
- 2 Tsp Salt - use as per taste
** Whole Spices **
- 1 Tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Small Cinnamon Stick
- 3 Black Cardamoms
- 3 Green Cardamom
- 4-5 Cloves
- 6-7 Black Peppercorn
- A night before OR atleast for 6-7 hrs, soak black lentils+kidney beans in a large pot with 5 cups of water.
- Once nicely soaked, cook them in the same pot for an hour (over low flames) OR use a pressure cooker to cook (15 minutes / 3-4 whistles)
- Once the dal is cooked, keep it aside.
- Heat a large pot/pan (that can accommodate all the lentil).
- Now, add oil+ghee and let it melt completely, takes about 1/2 minute.
- Now add all the 'Whole Spices' and let them crackle and heat for a minute over low flame.
- To this, add chopped onions and saute till slightly pink (about 3 minutes).
- Add, ginger+garlic paste and saute cook for 2 minutes.
- Now add all the powdered spices (EXCEPT Fenugreek leaves) and saute for a minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook till they become slightly cooked.
- Finally, add the cooked lentils/dal, saute and cook covered for 20 minutes in low heat (stir every 3-4 minutes)
- Once the dal is nicely cooked with all the spices, add the cream and fenugreek leaves.
- Saute and cook for another 10 minutes over low flames.
- Give it a final stir and turn the heat off.
- **** If you are doing the Tadka/Tempuring
- Heat a small pan and add oil.
- Add whole red chili + cumin seeds and let them crackle for 1/2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat
- Transfer the Dal Makhni to serving bowl, decorate with tadka, fenugreek leaves and some fresh cream.
- Serve Hot with choice of side or store in fridge/freezer as per choice.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 456Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 200mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 15gSugar: 8gProtein: 25g