Egg Vindaloo – Spicy Egg Curry: Extremely popular fusion egg curry recipe from Goa (India).
I’m so excited to share this recipe Egg Vindaloo – Spicy Egg Curry recipe.
It is also known as one of the hottest curry available because of the use of peppercorns and chilies.
And today, I get to make it using the Vindaloo curry powder made by “Spicely Organics” an organic spice company in San Francisco which sells spices, tea, and chocolates.
I was approached by them a few months back and was sent their “SpiceBox Gift Set” to try (My next post will be a detailed review of their product).
Now, Vindaloo from our Egg Vindaloo is derived from a Portuguese recipe for meat(pork/rabbit) cooked with wine and garlic. But in India, the recipe was changed to meat with spices, vinegar, and sugar (replacing wine).
The Vindaloo curry paste is prepared by slow roasting different spices like peppercorns, cloves, cumin, coriander, nutmeg, cinnamon, chilies and then powdered to a fine consistency. Non-meat eaters usually make it with potatoes or eggs.
Here’s the recipe for you’ll to try and you can make it spicier or milder depending on your choice by adding more or less of the curry powder.
Vindaloo Seasoning (Powder)
I hope you try this Egg Vindaloo – Spicy Egg Curry soon and you can serve it with rice or any kind of grain or bread.
Egg Vindaloo - Spicy Egg Curry
Large Pan/Pot with Lid Food Processor
Prep Time5 minutes
Cook Time15 minutes
Total Time20 minutes
4 Large Hard Boiled Eggs – Shelled and Cleaned.
1 Large White Onion – Chopped
1 Garlic Clove – Washed and cleaned
1 Small Piece Ginger – Washed and cleaned
1 Tbsp White Vinegar
1/2 Tbsp Brown Sugar – You can use any sugar or skip this ingredient
1/2 Cup Water
5 Tbsp Olive Oil – You may use any flavorless oil of choice
Few Sprigs of Fresh Cilantro/Coriander Leaves – Finely Chopped -For
Decoration – Optional
11/2 Tbsp Vindaloo Curry Powder – “Spicely Organics” available in
Costco, Whole Foods & online.
1 Tsp Red Chili Powder – I’m using Kashmiri Chili, You can use
any red chili or omit this ingredient.
1 Tsp Salt (As per your taste)
• In a Food Processor, add onion, garlic, ginger and blend/pulse to a thick smooth paste. (Takes about a minute)
• Heat oil in a large pan, add the onion paste, saute for a minute and cover the lid(Reduce the heat to low and let the paste cook for about 2 minutes).
• After 2 minutes, uncover the lid, sauté the onion paste (which would have turned slightly golden brown).
• Now add the listed spices, give it a good mix, cover and simmer for another 2 minutes.
• Open the cover, add water, sugar, vinegar, mix one more time, cover and cook for 3 minutes or until the water is reduced and you see oil separating on the sides.
• Turn off the heat, transfer in serving dish.
• Now place shelled and cleaned hard boiled eggs on the curry, sprinkle with cilantro and serve hot with rice / roti / bread.