Aloo Ki Kachori (Fried Potato Flatbread)
Aloo Ki Kachori is a small size Indian flatbread stuffed with boiled potatoes and deep fried making it an extremely popular food.
It’s one of the Indian comfort food, simple, delicate and tasty.
Goes perfect with chilled yogurt-cucumber dip/raita or simple curry. Traditional Kachori’s are made using all purpose flour but I’ve used whole wheat just to please my guilt conscious mind 😉 Enjoy!!!
Prep Time 2 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 22 minutes
- 2 Cups Oil – For deep frying the kachori
- For Kachori/Bread Dough:
- 11/2 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 3 Tbsp Gram Flour (Besan)– Optional (This gives it a slightly nutty flavor & makes it crusty)
- 3 Tbsp Canola Oil – (you may use any light oil)
- 1/2 Cup Cold Water (2 tbsp less)
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Pinch Asafoetida (Hing) – Optional
- For Stuffing:
- 2 Boiled Potatoes – Peeled and Grated
- 11/2 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tsp Red Chili Powder – Optional
- To Make the Kachori/Bread Dough:
- In a food processor, add whole wheat flour, gram flour, salt, asafoetida and give it a quick pulse for 5 seconds. (Mix all the dry Ingredients together).
- Now add 3 tbsp oil & water to the dry Ingredients and pulse till you form a firm dough. (Add water in interval to form a firm dough)
- For Making Kachori:
- Take a medium size bowl, add stuffing Ingredients and give it a quick mix. (Pic1)
- Make equal sized balls.(Kachori’s are usually thick & small in size).
- Now take 1 dough ball, flatten it slightly to form a thick disc and fill it with potato stuffing mix (I’m putting 2 Tbsp) Pic2
- Seal the edges of the stuffed dough disc (Pic3) and roll it again to form a thick & small disc (Make sure to put less pressure as too much pressure will burst the disc) Pic4
- Heat 2 cups oil in a nonstick wok on high for 7-8 minutes, reduce the heat to medium.
- Add 1 kachori at a time, let it fry on each side for 1-2 minutes (Till each sides are golden in color). Pic5
- Once the kachori’s are fried on both sides (golden brown) take it out of the wok and place it on towel to absorb any extra oil.
- Serve Hot
* (This dough needs to be very firm in texture for the kachori’s to be crunch. As this dough contains salt)
Serving Size: 2
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 400 Total Fat: 103g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 91g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 359mg Carbohydrates: 110g Fiber: 16g Sugar: 2g Protein: 20g