Extremely delicious and better than takeout, healthy stir fry sesame chicken recipe using a mix of veggies, chicken, sauce and sesame seeds. It can be enjoyed with steamed veggies, salad, noodles, rice or quinoa.
This Healthy Stir Fry Sesame Chicken Recipe is one of our favorite Friday nights or weeknight or even brunch meals.
It’s saucy and crunchy mixed with seasonal veggies like broccoli, carrots, bell pepper (capsicum) and chicken. All this mix together to form a delicious healthy meal.
Healthy Stir Fry Sesame Chicken Recipe:
Just like most Chinese recipes, the original recipe is also made using crunchy veggies, sweet-spicy sauce and crunchy chicken that’s fried.
However, I didn’t want to add an extra layer of flour or fry the chicken, so I made this ‘Stir Fry Sesame Chicken’ version which is healthy and made much more quickly.
So you get the same taste, crunch but half the calories, so definitely go for that extra helping 🙂
Ingredients for Healthy Sesame Chicken Recipe:
- Boneless Chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
- Sesame Seeds
- Sauce: a mix of soy sauce and chili sauce
- Honey, you can also use agave or sugar too
The process to make the Healthy Sesame Chicken Recipe:
This dish comes together in 20 minutes and is mostly made using a stir-fry method.
- You wash and cut the veggies in similar bite-size pieces.
- Heat oil in a skillet and stir fry chicken first and keep it aside.
- Stir fry the veggies along with sauce and seasoning.
- Add the already cooked chicken and stir everything together.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds, peanuts and mix everything.
- Turn off the heat and serve the dish.
This dish is also popularly known as Honey Sesame Chicken Recipe because of the use of honey while stir-frying.
That I’ve mixed and the saucy-glistening chicken in that sweet-spicy sesame sauce.
As this is one of the old posts from 2015, you can now find below the older post details.
I’ve just taken new pictures as the earlier ones were not well lighted and mostly dark.
Go ahead and enjoy the Healthy Stir Fry Sesame Chicken Recipe
As you might remember from my last post, I’m trying to get back on a healthier eating routine after spending an entire month or so gorging on all kind of food.
Now my definition of healthy food‘, doesn’t mean boring, bland or curbing any particular food item.
It’s more like eating regularly, right quantity, less of high-calorie food and making a healthier version of my favorite recipes.
Continuing with that, today I’m going to share a quick but healthy recipe for Stir-Fry Sesame Chicken.
It’s one of my goto chicken recipes but it’s usually deep-fried chicken in a thick sticky sauce using sugar and cornstarch.
My version is without any sugar or cornstarch, low in salt and includes a lot of vegetable along with chicken which makes it lighter and crunchy.
This Stir-Fry Sesame Chicken recipe is made under 15 minutes and can be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Best served fresh along with your choice of side.
Pro Tip :
When cooking with Soy Sauce, always keep in mind the salt content.
Soy Sauce is high in salt hence if you’re adding additional salt, taste the dish before doing so.
If you’re trying any of my recipes, I’d love to see your pictures or receive your feedback.
You can tag my recipes using #easycookingwithmolly on any of the social media below:
You can also try these Chinese recipes:
- 4 Chicken Breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 Medium Onion - thinly sliced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper - cut into thin long bite-size pieces
- 1 Large Carrot – cut into thin long bite-size pieces
- 1 Small Broccoli – cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 Tbsp Sesame Oil – you can use Olive oil too
- 2 Tsp Sesame Seeds
- 2 Tbsp Roasted Peanuts - optional
For the Sauce:
- 6 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 4 Tbsp Worcester Sauce – Optional
- 1/2 Tsp Ginger Paste – can use ginger powder
- 1 Tsp Rice Vinegar – can use white vinegar also
- 1 Tbsp Honey - can use agave, sugar
- 1/8 Tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1 Tsp Chili Flakes – Optional
- 1/2 Tsp Salt (As per your taste)
Healthy Stir Fry Sesame Chicken Recipe
- Heat the wok or non-stick pan on high with 2 tbsp of oil.
- Reduce heat to medium, add chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes (Keep stirring the chicken every half minute. This will help cook the chicken evenly)
- Transfer cooked chicken into a medium bowl.
- In the same wok, add 1 tbsp of sesame oil, add the veggies and stir-fry for a minute. (We want to tenderize the vegetables slightly, retaining its crunch)
- Now, add cooked chicken, pour the sauce, peanuts, stir and saute everything together for about 2-3 minutes on high flame.
- Turn off the heat.
- Transfer to a serving dish, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve hot.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 275Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 300mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 54g
Old Pics 🙂