Gulabi Kalakand: rose flavored kalakand (sweet Indian milk fudge) made using rose water, ricotta, condensed milk and nuts. Extremely light and easy to make at home. Perfect for Navratri
Gulabi Kalakand – Rose Water Flavored Ricotta Dessert
What can be better than a super quick, moist and yet delicious dessert on a cold damp winter day ?
I guess some hot cuppa tea/coffee to go along with it 🙂
‘Kalakand’ is a popular Indian Sweet and is made using milk, sugar and nuts. It can be called a soft fudge too.
The traditional recipe calls for full-fat milk that’s slowly boiled to a thick consistency (almost half the quantity of the initial size).
What is Gulabi Kalakand
It’s an Indian dessert fudge, using:
- Cardamom Powder
- Rose Water.
Then sugar and fragrant water is mixed (rose, kewda, etc) to give it a light taste.
Then the reduced milk fudge is set in a large tray and chopped nuts are sprinkled on top for the final presentation.
Super easy to make and extremely delicious in every bite.
As I’ve been missing my Indian sweets a lot here, I decided to make these ‘Gulabi Kalakand’ at home.
How to Make Gulabi Kalakand:
However, I didnt wanted to go through the whole process of slow boiling the milk for ages on the stovetop (seriously it takes hours and you keep stirring in between).
So, I decided to use Ricotta (my favorite substitute of milk/paneer ingredients in sweets).
And what’s, even more, easier, it is made in the microwave!!! That means no more stirring the mix for hours on the stove.
And once the Kalakand is ready, trust me people will feel you have slogged for hours to make it 🙂
Gulabi Kalakand also makes an excellent treat or dessert recipe for any Indian Festivals like Holi, Diwali, etc.
The trick to this sweet is to keep the taste as simple as possible, retaining moisture and the rose flavor makes it mouth-watering……Enjoy
Tried Our Recipe – AWESOME!!!
Now Quickly SNAP A PICTURE & TAG :
#easycookingwithmolly + @easycookingwithmolly on Instagram –>
- Low Fat Ricotta Cheese (15oz box) *
- Low Fat Condense Milk (14oz can)
- 1Tbsp Ghee / Saltless Butter
- 5 Tbsp Milk – Room Temperature
- 3 Tbsp Chopped Nuts – I’m using pecans or just omit this step
- 1 Tsp Cardamom Powder
- 2 Tsp Rose Water
- 3-4 Fresh Chopped Rose Petals - for decoration (optional)
- 12 Small-Medium Paper Muffin Cups - to keep each kalakand
Please make sure the ricotta cheese and condense milk is in room temperature as it helps in easily mix the two together.
How to Make Gulabi Kalakand
- In a microwavable bowl, whisk together ricotta cheese, condense milk (2 tbsp less) and ghee.
- Now microwave uncovered on high for 5 mins. (Please keep an eye on the dish as it should not burn as all microwaves are different)
- Whisk again (the mixture would become little grainy and creamy) and microwave covered for 3 mins.
- Now, whisk again and microwave covered for 2 mins. (Keep an eye to avoid burning the dish). Repeat this step for total 4 mins.
- By now the mixture would be lot grainier and slightly dark creamy in color.
- Add cardamom powder, milk, chopped rose petals and give the mixture a final whisk.
- Shape and smooth the mixture evenly into the rectangle dish and sprinkle chopped nuts.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes to set.
- Cut into desired sizes, put them in paper muffin cups and serve cold.
- Ricotta – You can also use homemade paneer too
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 400Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 300mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 2gSugar: 60gProtein: 16g