We are almost in the middle of the week and can’t wait for the long weekend to start here in USA (Labor Day). I so wanted to post this onepot recipe for you’ll on Monday but just couldn’t because of some end minute hoopla 😉 So presenting the very easy and delicious ‘Spicy Mint Pulao‘ or Pilaf.
In our house, we always keep heaps of mint in the fridge…I mean, seriously, sometimes I feel like a mint hoarder but it’s just so useful and goes into so many things (you can add them in water for a refreshing minty flavor or face packs or just crushed mint on top of salads or sandwiches, meats, soooo many uses).
This recipe is very easy and kind of addicting, as mint with peanuts and chilies (added in the mix) gives it such a refreshing flavor. You just need a deep dish pan with lid or pressure cooker (with cooker – its done in about 5 minutes). It’s a great recipe for Vegans too.
You can even make it in bulk and keep it in fridge for reuse for upto 2 more days. This infact, makes a great work lunch as it has all your grains and veggies combination that makes it filling and healthy. Definitely give it a try and let me know how it turned out. I’m also sharing this recipe with my friend at Meat Free Mondays
NOTE:: If you want to share pictures of any of my recipes that you tried, please email me or share them on Twitter or Instagram with #easycookingwithmolly. I would love to see them and would share my favorite ones on my social media too – Hugs, Molly
- 1 Deep Pan with Lid or Pressure Cooker
- Hand Blender or Any Grinder
- For Pulao:
- 1 cup Basmati Rice - (Soaked for ½ an hour and then drain the water)
- 1 Large Onion - Thinly sliced
- ½ cup Green Peas*
- ¼ cup Broccoli - chopped
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil (Any neutral tasting oil)
- 1.5 Cups Water
- For Mint Mix:
- ½ Cup Mint Leaves**
- 1 Green Chili - Deseeded
- ½ Inch Ginger
- ¼ Cup Peanuts - Roasted
- Whole Spice Mix:
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Cloves
- 2 Green Cardamom
- ¼ Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 small Cinnamon Stick
- ½ Tsp Salt
- ½ Tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala
- In a pan or pressure cooker, add oil, all whole spices and sauté.
- Add onions and sauté till onions are slightly cooked (about 2 minutes).
- Now add green veggies and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add mint mixture, all remaining spices, rice and evenly sauté everything together for 2 more minutes.
- Now add water: Follow as per Utensil
- A) If using pressure cooker, then cover the lid and steam till 3 whistle and turn off the heat.
- B) if using pan, cover with lid, lower the heat and let it cook for 15 minutes.
** Mint - Prefer Fresh mint leaves