Instant-Pot Kheer Recipe: creamy, thick, flavored with saffron, rice along with dried food, this rice pudding is a perfect Diwali dessert.
This recipe is all about making a thick, creamy and rich kheer without using condensed milk.
This Instant-Pot Kheer Recipe or as many of my friend’s call it “Indian Rice Pudding” is one recipe that adds both glam and deliciousness to our Diwali party or upcoming Friendsgiving/Thanksgiving.
And the best part, super easy to make on the day of the festivities or even a day or two before.
Trust me, I make a Big and I mean a BIG batch every Diwali and last few years, I have started using my Instant-pot to make it.
25 minutes and the mix turns into this thick, creamy, flavorful and aromatic dessert.
Now you can make kheer with just 3 simple ingredients too (rice, milk, and sugar)
BUT, since it’s a celebration, this NEEDS to be Grand….Royal or Shahi (as it’s called in India).
I’m also sharing below “How you can make a thick and creamy kheer” everytime.
It’s super easy and does-not involve using condensed milk.
You need these items to make a Thicker and Creamy (Restaurant like Kheer) at home:
1- Milk Powder
2- Coconut Powder
3- Any Other Nut Powder like cashews/almonds, etc.
I’m not against using condensed milk but due to its high sugar content, many members in my family don’t consume desserts made with it.
So, if you also are looking at an option to making the Indian rice pudding thicker, then you should definitely save this post
Now, as we are calling it ‘Royal Diwali Dessert’, we need to add ingredients that gives it such a high flavor and definitely a glam look 😉
So, I’m adding nuts, rosewater, saffron, cardamom to give the kheer a rich taste and I’m topping it with similar ingredients.
So, this Diwali, go ahead and try this Indian Rice Pudding or what we lovingly call ‘Kheer’ at home.
Wishing you and your loved ones a Very Happy & Prosperous Diwali.
:: You May Also Like ::
Tried Our Recipe – AWESOME!!!
Now Quickly SNAP A PICTURE & TAG :
#easycookingwithmolly + @easycookingwithmolly on Instagram –>
- 1 Cup Basmati Rice - you may use any other white rice too
- 3 Cups Milk
- 2 Cups Hot Water - to soak rice
- 4 Tbsp Ghee - you may use olive oil
- 2 Tbsp Milk Powder
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Coconut - dry coconut powder
- 1/4 Cup Almonds - slivered or crushed
- 2 Pinch Saffron - crushed
- 1 Tbsp Green Cardamoms - crushed and skin removed
- 1/8 Tsp Cinnamon Powder
- 1 Tbsp Rose Petal - optional
- 1 Tsp Rose Water - optional
- Soak rice in hot water for 10 minutes.
- Then sieve and crush the rice with you fingers (this step increases the flavor of rice when cooked).
- Turn Instant Pot to Sauté mode.
- Add ghee to the instant pot and stir.
- Now add almonds, saffron, cardamom and saute nicely.
- Add rice and saute for a minute.
- Now add, milk, cinnamon, rose rose water and stir everything together.
- Close the Instant-Pot lid with the pressure valve to sealing.
- Press Porridge button and let it cook for 20 minutes.
- Allow Natural Pressure Release.
- Open the lid carefully and check the consistency.
- Stir nicely and transfer to serving pot and decorate on top with rose petal, saffron, almonds, coconut.
- Serve hot or cold
Serving Size8 Cups
Amount Per ServingCalories 201 Total Fat 8g Saturated Fat 5g Cholesterol 9mg Sodium 42mg Carbohydrates 26g Sugar 5g Protein 6g