Instant Pot Chana Masala (Light Punjabi Chole): extremely light, delicious and quick chana masala/chole masala or Light Punjabi Chole using turmeric and without any onion or garlic.
They are perfect for a light or holistic meal with a bowl of steamed rice.
Also known as Punjabi Chole or Chole Curry
We have been eating so much heavy food for the last few weeks that a good light or holistic meal is all that we needed.
So, this Instant Pot Chana Masala – Light Punjabi Chole was such a delightful and refreshing change.
Growing up in New Delhi, chole or chana made quite a frequent appearance in our everyday meal and it’s one of the major ingredients of Punjabi cuisine.
So these Instant Pot Chana Masala always hit that comfort food spot for us and making them in the instant pot reduces the cooking time to even lesser time.
Also, for this recipe, I’m using canned, low sodium – organic garbanzo beans/chickpeas.
This also removes an extra step of soaking the dry chickpeas overnight and then steaming them once-twice till they are half cooked.
Most of the chana or chole recipes that you would come across or have had, would be made using lots of spices, onions, tomato or a thick curry base.
But this Instant Pot Chana Masala is a light, almost rustic style chana preparation with bare minimum spices/ingredients.
Also, they work as a great #mealprep meal as well and I usually have them along with a bowl of rice, some chopped cherry tomatoes and purple cabbage.
It’s a great mix of freshness, light flavors, and deliciousness.
So if you’re looking for that light, easy-peasy chana masala recipe then you’ve come to the right place 🙂
:: You May Also Like ::
Tried Our Recipe – AWESOME!!!
Now Quickly SNAP A PICTURE & TAG :
#easycookingwithmolly + @easycookingwithmolly on Instagram –>
- 1 Can Chickpeas - I’m using low-sodium, organic beans.
- 1½ Cup Water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil - you may use butter or ghee too
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Puree
- Serving in a Bowl:
- 2 Cups Cooked Brown Rice - use any variety of rice or grain of choice
- 1/2 Cup Cherry Tomatoes - sliced
- 1/2 Cup Purple Cabbage - sliced
- ½ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Cumin Powder
- 2 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp Ginger Powder - or use 1/2 tsp shredded ginger
- ½ Tsp Indian red chili powder - use as per taste
- 1 Tsp Salt
- Heat Instant Pot in 'Saute Mode’.
- Heat oil and add cumin seeds.
- Saute the cumin seeds for 10-12 seconds using a wooden spatula.
- Now, add all the spices and saute for 2-3 minutes until evenly mixed.
- Add the tomato puree and saute another 2 minutes (you’ll see oil separate from the corner).
- Add canned chickpeas and saute everything together.
- No add water and saute everything evenly making sure the spices/oil are scrapped and mixed from the edges of the pot.
- Cook on 'Manual' Mode’ for 5 minutes.
- Let pressure release naturally and remove the pot cover carefully.
- In 2-3 bowls, add cooked rice in the bottom.
- Now add 1-2 ladle of the cooked chana masala and top with sliced cherry tomatoes and cabbage.
- Serve hot or keep in air-tight boxes as meal prep.
Amount Per ServingCalories 200 Total Fat 22g Saturated Fat 7g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 13g Cholesterol 21mg Sodium 133mg Carbohydrates 87g Fiber 13g Sugar 12g Protein 16g