This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SplendaHoliday #CollectiveBias
Spiced Dry Fruit Cake (Decadent Indian Fruitcake) is a MUST during the holiday season.
It’s filled with dry fruits like walnut/pecans, dried berries, dried plums, chocolate bits, juice, coffee and leaves you craving for more.
To take this a notch up, I’m adding fresh orange rind to just pop the flavors and making it more divine.
While I have ‘It’s the most wonderful time of the year’ playing at the background, here I’m sharing with you’ll Spiced Dry Fruit Cake my absolutely favorite ‘Holiday Dessert‘ without which holidays are incomplete.
It’s very popular in India and is called by many names like Spiced Dry Fruit Cake / Fruit-Nut Cake / Plum Cake / X’mas Cake or simply Tutti-Frutti Cake.
Visit any Indian bakery and you’ll see these cakes decorated with cute holiday trinkets and showcased on the front aisle in numerous shapes and sizes.
My very first memories of the holiday season is a huge tall tree and this beautiful cake.
I still remember the first bite of this super delicious cake which was nutty and chocolatey in every bite and I guess it was LOVE in first site too 😉
So every holiday, it became a tradition to either make the cake at home or get it from the best bakery in town and till date.
It continues….with just a slight difference that instead of getting it from outside, I bake it at home and officially start our holiday season.
This recipe is my most tried n trusted recipe for many, many and many years. It’s the one for which I get asked the most and once served, it’s finished within minutes.
The recipe I’m sharing today is my ‘basic fruitcake recipe’ however you can add or reduce any of the fruit/nuts combinations as per your choice – The possibilities are ENDLESS!!!
Actually, during my last visit to Walmart , I came across these SPLENDA® Sugar Blend (there were others too like SPLENDA® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener & SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend)
I instantly grabbed them for baking this year holiday treats – Don’t you love them, even more, when you can have that 1,2 or even 3 extra helpings ;).
Seriously, by swapping one cup of sugar with one cup of SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated, you can save more than 600 calories –
It’s like ‘Enjoy a sweet life without all the calories from added sugar’ – Wohooo!
TheSpiced Dry Fruit Cake recipe is very easy and takes about 35-40 minutes to bake at 180C …. while the cake was baking.
I visited the SWEET SWAPS™ Initiative, the SPLENDA® Brand is dishing out creative ways to swap full sugar for SPLENDA® Sweetener Products in order to save calories.
Definitely, visit the page as it has some amazing recipes.
Now, once the cake is baked, you can serve it as is but since it’s a holiday cake, why not create some ‘snow like feel’ by sprinkling with powdered sugar
(I just pulsed the SPLENDA® Sugar Blend for 2 minutes to create powdered sugar consistency – isn’t’ that amazing)
and decorating it with some fresh cranberries, cinnamon sticks, orange rind and some Christmas decorations – after all its The Holiday Cake.
Here are some pictures of the cake process and where you can find it at Walmart.
Do give this cake a try this holiday season and I guarantee, you would love it !
Tried Our Recipe – AWESOME!!!
Now Quickly SNAP A PICTURE & TAG :
#easycookingwithmolly + @easycookingwithmolly on Instagram –>
- 11/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 Large Eggs - Room Temperature
- 1/2 Cup SPLENDA® Sugar Blend (this product contains sugar)
- 1/2 Cup Coffee - Light to Medium flavor or Instant coffee
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil - Any light Oil will do
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Tsp Vinegar
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
Fruits + Spices:
- 1/2 Cup Pecans
- 1/2 Cup Chocolate Chip
- 4 Dried Figs - chopped
- 5 Tbsp Dried Cranberries
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Orange Rind - optional
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon Powder
- 2 Pinch Nutmeg Powder
- Pinch of Ginger Powder - optional
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- In a bowl, soak coffee and all fruit/nuts mixture for a 15 minutes (this helps plump up the dry fruit and bring out the flavors).
- In a medium bowl, sieve together flour, baking powder, baking soda & keep aside. (Dry Ingredients)
- In another bowl, whisk eggs for a minute and add oil, SPLENDA® Sugar Blend, vanilla, vinegar and whisk to form a creamy light mixture. (keep aside)
- Take the soaked nuts and mix them with the dry ingredients*.
- Now, lightly fold in the dry ingredients to the above mixture slowly making sure no lumps are formed.
- Take an oiled baking tray (9x1) and pour the batter slowly. Once the batter is transferred, lightly tap the baking pan to release any extra air bubble.
- Bake in the middle shelf for 35-40 minutes (depending on your oven).
- Cool the cake completely, decorate with powdered sugar and serve fresh.
* Mixing the soaked nuts with dry ingredients helps in better baked cakes.
Amount Per ServingCalories 2772 Total Fat 14g Saturated Fat 3g Sodium 3521mg Carbohydrates 554g Sugar 3g Protein 91g
Please make sure, you enter the Fabulous GIVEAWAY for a chance to WIN a $500 in Walmart gift cards - All the Best ~ Happy Holidays! J&J Holiday Baking with Splenda