Achari Chicken (Chicken in Indian Pickle Spices): is an extremely easy and quite refreshing recipe from your regular Indian chicken recipes.
The Achari Chicken is mostly dry (not much curry) and served with buttered naan/roti or even soft bread.
Hey You’ll – Hope you are having a great day…..Don’t you feel as if autumn has slowly started to seep into our regular summer days….
There is a slight nip in the air during early mornings and late night.
And it’s a perfect beginning to start cooking some of our favorite comfort food dishes (the rich ones 🙂
So this, week’s brunch menu is going to be a delicious and flavorful Achari Chicken (Chicken in Indian Pickle Spice).
If you are wondering then its an easy chicken recipe, cooked in basic Indian pickling mix over medium heat.
It’s cooked in a pressure cooker/deep pan with lid as the recipe needs to be slowly roasted and cooked which results in this tangy pickled flavor.
Just like a pickle, their hardly any water used in this recipe as it’s kind of semi-dry or hardly has any gravy.
It’s one of a very favorite recipe from the Northern part of India (State of U.P).
Most of the times, its served with Paratha/Poori (Indian Flatbread or Deep Fried Puffs) but I like to have it with a steaming bowl of rice or quinoa.
This chicken is always made extra in our house as we kind of re-purpose it into biryani or just eat it with roti the next day.
This particular version is made using ‘Boneless Skinless Chicken’ which is cut into small cubes but you can make it using a whole chicken or just with chicken drumsticks.
It also freezes well for upto a week.
Enjoy this recipe with your loved ones and have a great weekend !
:: You May Also Like ::
As always, I Looove when you try my recipes and send me pictures & feedback. You can tag my recipes tried by you using #easycookingwithmolly on any of the social media below:
- 4 Piece Boneless Chicken Breasts – Cut into bite sizes pieces
- 1 Cup Greek Yogurt - You can use any thick yogurt
- 4 Tbsp Oil (You can use any oil however it taste best in MUSTARD Oil)
- 2 Large Onion - (Grind into a paste with as little water as possible)
- 2-3 Large Green Chilies - Julienne – Add as per taste)
- 1/2 Tsp Fenugreek Seed - Optional
- 1 Tsp Fennel Seed
- 1 Tsp Onion Seed
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp Red Chili Powder
- 2 Tsp Salt (As per your taste)
- Grind coarsely the whole seeds mixture and keep aside.
- Heat oil, add onion paste and fry till pink in color. (takes about 2 minutes)
- Add chicken in onion mixture and keep frying till it's slightly cooked (5-6 minutes).
- Add the powdered spices and mix for 3-4 more minutes & then add the coarsely powdered mixture.
- Keep mixing till chicken is almost cooked (almost 6-7 minutes), add yogurt and sauté.
- Sauté till most of the water is absorbed and chicken turns reddish brown in color.
- Add green chilies and cook for 2 more minutes. (Optional)
- Serve Hot.
Amount Per ServingCalories 15 Total Fat 1g Sodium 4730mg Carbohydrates 3g Protein 1g