Buckwheat Potato Curry (Kuttu ki Kadhi) : healthy and quick buckwheat / kuttu curry with no onions/garlic. Can be eaten with any side of choice.
Wishing you all a very “Happy Navratri” – May Goddess Durga Bless us with Peace, Prosperity, Health and Happiness.
For many of my friends n readers who are new to these wishes/festivity, it literally means “Nav = Nine & Ratri = Nights”. It’s the celebration of 9nights and 10days where we worship & welcome “Goddess Durga” (Also known as Shakti – the destroyer of evil) with her children to her maternal home on earth.
It’s also the beginning of good days and the onset of winter festivals in India, celebrated in different ways n passion in every state. For more information, please Click Here
That being said, many of us also fasts as a part of the celebration, worship and way of attaining mind-body peace (Don’t eat grain) for these 9days and cook food without onion and garlic.
So here’s first of my favorite recipe for the “Navratri Special Meals” – It can be made in advance and enjoyed with the whole family even if you’re not fasting.
I’m making this curry/kadhi from buckwheat flour (Benefits of Buckwheat), potatoes, tomatoes, yogurt and basic spices.
And as we say in India to begin this festivity: “Jai Mata Di – Hail Goddess Durga”
Buckwheat Potato Curry (Kuttu Kadhi)
Serves: 2 People
Serving Suggestion: Serve Hot or Cold along with flatbread / rice / bread
Large Non-Stick Pot
1 Large Tomato – Chopped into small pieces
2 Large Boiled Potato – Cut into bite size pieces
4 Tbsp Plain Yogurt – You can use any variety from fat-free to full fat
2 Tbsp Buckwheat Flour – Easily available in all Indian grocery stores
1 Cup Water
2 Tbsp Olive Oil – You may use any flavorless oil of choice
1/2 Tsp Cumin Powder (Jeera Powder)
1/2 Tsp Red Chili Powder – Optional
1/2 Tsp Salt (As per your taste)
- Heat oil in a large pot over high.
- Add chopped tomatoes, spices, and stir evenly. (Reduce the heat to low)
- Now cook the tomatoes till the water evaporates and the tomatoes are cooked and mashed. (3mins)
- Add the buckwheat flour, stir for 2mins and add the potatoes.
- Cook everything for 2 more mins.
- Now add yogurt, water, and stir evenly to avoid any lumps.
- Cook over low heat for 2-3mins.
- After cooking this mixture for 3mins, it will resemble a thick even consistency, now turn off the heat.
- Serve with flatbread / rice.