Pindi Chole: one of an extremely popular chole/garbanzo beans recipe from India. The chole are simmered on a spicy thick sauce using Indian spices and tea mix.
During my last few trips to India, one thing that I always eat is “Pindi Chole (Garbanzo Beans in Indian Spices) with Kulcha”.
It’s like a perfect goto snack/meal or just a “oh I wanna eat something nice” kinda dish bursting with a slight sour/tart flavor.
It’s easy to prepare and is slightly different from the regular “chole curry” as this doesn’t need any onion-tomato and is mostly dry.
The only thing I do extra is roast 3 essential ingredients mainly “Anardana(Pomegranate), Shahi Jeera(Black Cumin) & Ajwain(Carom Seed) to give this dish a unique flavor.
Serves: 4-6 People
Serving Suggestion: Serve hot with Indian Roti/Kulcha/Bhatura, Plain Bread or Rice or Eat as Appetizer
1 Large Pressure Cooker
1 Large Non-Stick Pan/Wok with lid
Dry Spice Grinder or Mortar-Pestle
Serving Dish / Plate
2 Cups Raw Garbanzo Beans
4 Cups Water
3 Black Tea Bags – (To give the black or dark brown color to the beans)
1 ½ Tbsp Ginger+Garlic Paste
2-3 Thinly Chopped Green Chilies – (Please add this ingredient as per taste)
½ Cup Water
>4 Tbsp Olive Oil – (You may use any flavorless oil)
1 Thinly Sliced Onion – (For Garnishing)
Indian Spices: To be Roasted
2 Bay Leaf (Tej Patta)
¼ Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
3 Whole Green Cardamom (Choti Elaichi)
5 Whole Black Pepper (Kali Mirch)
1 Tbsp Black Cumin (Shahi Jeera)
½ Tsp Carrom Seeds(Ajwain)
1 Tbsp Dry Pomegranate
Cumin Powder (Jeera) – ½ Tbsp
Coriander Powder (Dhaniya) – 1 Tbsp
Garam Masala Powder – ½ Tbsp
Dry Mango Powder(Amchur) – 1Tbsp
Red Chili Powder – 1Tbsp (Please use chili powder as per taste)
Salt – As per taste
Note: Garbanzo Beans(Chole) needs to be soaked overnight or for atleast 5-6 hrs (Till they puff up) in water.
- Put the pre-soaked garbanzo beans and 3tea bags in the pressure cooker and cook till you hear 3-4 steams or till the beans are cooked.
- Drain water from the cooked beans and keep aside.(I usually throw away this water as it tastes really sour because of black tea bags)
- In a wok on medium flame, dry roast the whole spices till they turn slightly brown (2-3min) and grind to a fine powder.
- Heat oil in the wok, add ginger+garlic paste and sauté for 1 minute.
- Now add green chili along with bay leaf, green cardamom, and black pepper.
- Add the roasted powdered spices along with all the other powdered spices and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Now add the cooked beans to wok, sauté well and cook covered for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the ½ cup water, sauté and cook till the water is absorbed (4-5 minutes).
- Transfer to a serving dish, garnish with sliced onion, green chili and serve hot.
Tried Our Recipe – AWESOME!!!
Now Quickly SNAP A PICTURE & TAG :
#easycookingwithmolly + @easycookingwithmolly on Instagram –>