|Shahi Paneer Capsicum (Cottage Cheese+Bell Peppers in Creamy Sauce)|
“Shahi Paneer Capsicum” (Cottage Cheese+Bell Peppers in thick cream sauce) is my ALLLL Time Fav vegetarian entree and if you have grown up in “Northern” part of India, U very well know what I’m talking about 😉
This is the BIG DADDY of vegetarian dishes from India, creamy, tasty and yes full of XTRAAA Calories. But once in a while and in moderation, it doesn’t hurt eating it :0)
The gravy/sauce in this dish is rich and thick, made using pure white butter/ fresh cheese along with the BEST EVER Pairing of paneer+capsicum (Trust me they taste the best together than any other combo), but just to give some consolation to myself, I’m using low-fat cream cheese (As if it makes much of a difference :))
So here you go, make sure you serve it warm and it taste great with any sides of choice from Indian Naan/Roti, Bread, Rice, Quinoa, Couscous….Just about anything that you like to pair it with.
1 Tbsp Coriander Powder
1 Tbsp Cumin Powder
1 Tbsp Dry Mango Powder – You may use lemon juice incase mango powder is not available
½ Tbsp Garam Masala
1 Tbsp Dry Fenugreek Leaves
2 Tsp Red Chili Powder
1 Tsp Kashmiri Mirch – Special red chili powder, popularly used for its red color along with spice, available in Indian stores OR OMIT this step
2 Tsp Salt (As per your taste)
- In a nonstick wok, heat olive oil and butter over medium flames for ½ minute.
- Add onions and sauté for a minute over medium flames and then reduce the flames to low.
- Now add ginger+garlic paste, all the spices except mango powder, give it a stir and cook covered till the onions
are tender (About 2 minutes).
- Now increase the heat to medium, add sliced capsicum and sauté for a minute (till capsicum is tender).
- Add tomato paste, ketchup, mango powder, sauté over medium heat for another minute, cover lid and
reduce heat to low.
- Now add the cut paneer/cottage cheese pieces, water and sauté on medium heat for 2-3 minutes, till
everything is evenly mixed and a thick gravy like texture is formed.
- Now reduce the heat, add cream cheese paste, stir lightly and quickly to mix everything together (If you mix it too much or heavily, the cream cheese will curdle).
- Give it a final boil (As soon as you see bubbles forming in the corners), turn off the heat.
- Transfer into serving dish, garnish with ginger julienne and Serve Hot.