“Khichuri” is super duper easy, healthy n quick one pot recipe. It’s perfect for one of “THOSE” lazy days when you don’t want to cook anything elaborate but yet want something healthy using least of the utensils n time.
This dish comes from the Eastern part of India and is also served as prasad in Durga Puja/Saraswati Puja/Kali Puja (Festivals) in Bengal.
Tools1 Medium Pressure Cooker
- 1 Large Bowl
Ingredients1 Cup Basmati Brown Rice – You may use any rice of your choice
- ½ Cup Split Yellow Lentil (Moong Dhuli)
- ½ Cup Red Lentil (Masoor Dhuli)
- ¼ Cup Spinach – You may use frozen or fresh spinach as per availability
- ½ Large Boiled Potato – Chopped into bite size pieces
- ½ Large Onion – Thinly chopped
- 1 Green Chili – Thinly Chopped
- 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil – You may use any flavorless oil
- 1 Tbsp of Clarified Butter(Ghee) - Optional
- 3 Cups Water (For making Khichuri) – Room Temperature
- 2 Cups of Water (For soaking rice+lentils)
Whole Spices1 Large Bay Leaf(Tej Patta)
- 1 Black Cardamom(Badi Elaichi)
- 2 Cloves(Laung)
- 1 Stick of Cinnamon(Dalchini)
- 5 Black Pepper Corns(Kali Mirch)
Powdered Spices2 Pinch of Asafetida(Hing)
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala
- ½ Tsp Turmeric
- 1 Tsp Red Chili Powder
- 2 Tsp Salt (As per your taste)
- Prep Work: In a large pot, soak rice+lentils in 2 cups of water for 1 hr. (Drain the grains and keep aside)
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil, butter(ghee) in a pressure cooker for 1/2 min on high flame.
- Reduce heat to medium, add onions and sauté for a min.
- Add all the whole spices, sauté for 2-3 minute till onions are pink in color.
- Now add spinach, potato, green chili and sauté for another 2 minute.
- Add pre-soaked rice+lentils and sauté for 2-3 minute till everything is mixed together.
- Add powdered spices and sauté for another minute.
- Now add 3 cups of water and
- close the pressure lid and turn the heat to high.
- Turn off the heat after 3 whistles and let the pressure cooker cool.
- Serve Khichuri with plain yogurt, pickle and papadum.
Amount Per ServingCalories 976 Total Fat 25g Cholesterol 16mg Sodium 2440mg Carbohydrates 157g Fiber 28g Sugar 5g Protein 36g