Mughlai Chicken Korma – Learn to make this royal recipe coming from the city of Lucknow, UP (Northern India).
It was an extremely popular dishin the royal kitchen and now a part of the extremely popular Indian Cuisine.
Traditionally the Mughlai Chicken Korma recipe was made using special heavy bottom utensils made out of copper over coal/wood burners cooking for hours.
There was two purpose for it:
- First: It used to not burn the utensil while longer cooking hours.
- Second: the minerals from cooking utensils were good for the body and absorbed in the food while cooking.
But as years passed by, we have customized the recipes keeping in mind time, availability & effort.
The Mughlai Cuisines are famous for there non-vegetarian(meat) recipes along with rich aromatic gravies with heavy use of spices, yogurt and cream.
These recipes were usually made for the kings, hence they use a lot of nuts and aromatic ingredients apart from all the other ingredients used.
So gone are the heavy utensils and cooking for ours but we are not substituting on taste at all.
This Mughlai Chicken Korma tastes as delicious but ready in under 40 minutes.
Serving Suggestion: Can be served with Roti’s or Rice
1 Large nonstick wok
1 Small nonstick Pan
Electric Grinder – For dry grinding
1 lb. Boneless Chicken – Cut into bite size pieces
2 Medium Onions – chopped
1½ Cups Yogurt
1 tbsp Ginger+Garlic Paste
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
3 Green Chilies – Deseeded & chopped
3 Tbsp Coriander leaves – finely chopped
3 Tbsp Mint leaves – finely chopped
6 Tbsp Mustard Oil – You may use any other oil of choice
2 Cups of Water
½ Tsp Turmeric Powder
2 Tsp Red Chili Powder – Optional if you want to reduce spiciness
½ Tsp Garam Masala Powder
½ Tsp Black Pepper Powder
2 Small Cinnamon Sticks
3-4 Green Cardamoms
3 Bay Leaves
Salt – as per taste
1 Tsp Poppy Seeds – optional
- Heat small nonstick pan on high, add 2 tbsp oil and add onions, sauté for 1-2min on high flame. Reduce flame to medium and sauté till the onions are brown and caramelized (5-6min). Switch off the flame and cool completely.
- Using an electric grinder, grind the “roasted nuts” to a fine powder.
- Using an electric grinder, grind the cold sauteed onions to a fine and smooth paste. (Pic 2)
- Heat a large nonstick wok, add 3tbsp oil, add cinnamon, cardamoms, cloves and bay leaves. Saute for ½ min.
- To the above wok, add onion paste, ginger/garlic paste, turmeric, red chili, garam masala, black pepper, lemon juice and salt to taste. Keep sauteing for 2mins on medium flames.
- Now add chicken and saute for 5 minutes, till the chicken is slightly cooked.
- Now add Yogurt and saute for a minute.
- Add 2 cups of water and cover with lid and let it simmer for 20min on low heat. (Stir occasionally)
- Add the powdered nuts, green chilies, coriander and mint leaves.
- Cook for another 15min OR until the oil starts to separate.
- Serve Hot.
Tried Our Recipe – AWESOME!!!
Now Quickly SNAP A PICTURE & TAG :
#easycookingwithmolly +@easycookingwithmolly on Instagram –>