Shalgam Kebab – Turnip Kebab
Growing up one of the vegetables that I used to hate completely was Shalgam/Turnip. If you have smelled it raw, you know what I mean, It has this very peculiar smell which is weird and how can you eat it, RIGHT 🙂
Well, my mom (Just like all our MOM’s) tried her best to make me eat all vegetables, so one day she came up with these yummy vegetarian kabob’s, which I completely hogged upon and requested to be made again……N that’s when she tell’s me it’s Turnip :D…..So Here’s Her Recipe which till date never fail to surprise people n change them into Turnip Eaters !!!
Serving Suggestion: Serve Hot as an appetizer/snack with some fresh mint chutney OR Garden Salad
1 Medium Pot – for boiling the Turnips
1 Medium Lid – to cover the boiling pot
1 Medium nonstick – for frying onions
1 Large nonstick pan – for sautéing the kabobs
1 Large Plate – To hold 12 patties/kabobs
5 Large Raw Turnips – Peeled & Cut in Halves
2 Cups Water – For Boiling
1 Large Potato – Boiled n Grated
2 Large Onion – Finely Chopped – Optional – (Skip this Ingredient to make this a non-onion snack)
2 Tbsp Ginger – Finely Chopped
4 Tbsp Fresh Coriander – Finely Chopped
2 Green Chilies – Deseeded & Chopped
½ Cup Bread Crumbs – Store Bought OR Homemade
¼ Cup Oil – Any Flavorless Oil for Sautéing
1 Tbsp Whole Black Pepper – Crushed Slightly
5 Cloves – Crushed
3 Big Green Cardamoms – Remove Shell & Crush Seeds slightly
3 Big Black Cardamoms – Remove Shell & Crush Seeds slightly
1 Tsp Cinnamon Powder
1 Tsp Cumin Powder
1 Tsp Red Chili Powder
Salt – (As per your taste)
- In a medium pot, add turnips, water, cover the pot and boil at high heat. After the first boil
reduce the heat to low and keep cooking till the turnips are moist n almost mushy in consistency (Takes 6-8min).
- Once the Turnips have become mushy, close the heat, cool a little & then mash all the turnip
using a fork/spatula.
- On high heat, add 2 Tsp oil in a medium nonstick pan, add black-pepper, cloves, cardamom seeds
(green+black), onion and stir for 2 min.
- As soon as the onions become slightly pink, add ginger, green chilies, fresh coriander, cinnamon, cumin, red chili, salt and stir (2-3min).
- Now add mashed turnip & potatoes, Stir everything together and cover with lid on low heat. Cook
for 2 min & close the heat.
- Cool the mixture until slightly warm to touch, now add breadcrumb and knead everything together like a dough.
- Make 12 equal sized kabob’s/patties shape and keep in the fridge for 30min (This step binds everything together).
- After 30min, take out the kabobs from fridge & make sure all the kabobs are intact in shape.
- Heat a large non-stick pan, dab some oil and sauté the kabobs on each side until golden brown.
- Serve Hot.
Tried Our Recipe – AWESOME!!!
Now Quickly SNAP A PICTURE & TAG :
#easycookingwithmolly + @easycookingwithmolly on Instagram –>