Serving Suggestion: Serve ColdTools:
2 Large Bowl for wet ingredients
1 Medium Bowl for sifting the ingredients
Hand Blender OR Kitchen Aid OR Electric Whisk
1 Cupcake Tray
Paper cupcake liners
1¼ Cup All Purpose Flour
2/3 Cup Caster Sugar
2½ Tbsp Cocoa Powder
½ Tsp Soda Bicarbonate
½ Tsp Salt
¼ Cup Butter – Unsalted at Room temperature
1 Egg – Room Temperature
2/3 Cup Buttermilk – Store bought OR Homemade – MUST for this recipe
1½ Tsp White Vinegar
3 Drops of Red Food Color – (Can add more as per choice) – MUST for this recipe
½ Tsp Vanilla Extract
For Cream Cheese Frosting:
2½ Cup Icing/Confectioner Sugar – Sifted
5 Tbsp Butter – Unsalted at room temperature
2/3 Cup Cream Cheese – Cold
Prep Work: Preheat oven to 338F (170 C)
Prep Work: Line Cupcake Tray with Liners
- In a medium bowl, Sift Flour, Cocoa Powder and keep aside.
- In a large bowl, Whisk butter, egg and sugar to a creamy mixture. Now add red color, vanilla extract, mix well to make a smooth bright red mixture.
- Now add the flour mixture to the red color mixture and whisk till smooth and no lumps exist.
- On slow speed, add salt, soda bicarbonate and vinegar (This will make the mixture a little bubbly/foamy).
- Now whisk this mixture on a high speed for 2 minutes to incorporate everything and this step makes the muffins light.
- Spoon mixture into paper cases until 2/3 full and bake for 20-25min or until sponge bounces back when touched.
- Check: Insert a toothpick in center of cupcake & it should come out clean.
- Leave cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting Method:
- In a large bowl, Whisk icing sugar and butter to a smooth paste.
- Add cream cheese all at one go and beat till completely incorporated.
- Whisk on high speed till the frosting is light and fluffy (4-5minutes). Do not over-beat as it can become runny.
- Spoon on cupcakes, sprinkle some muffin crumbs or red sprinkles and serve cold.