Serving Suggestion: Served as Entrée/Main Course along with Yogurt or Mango Lassi
2 Large non-stick pot or Skillet
1 Large Lid to cover the non-stick pot.
1 Medium non-stick pan – For frying onions.
2 Small Bowl – For food color- Optional
1 Pound boneless Lamb – Washed &Cut into bite size pieces OR with bones as per choice
2 Cups Basmati Rice – Any other rice will also do
5 Tbsp Oil – (Use any flavorless oil of choice)
1½ Tsp Clarified Butter – Optional
2 Large Onions – Thinly sliced.
1 Tbsp Ginger Paste
1 Tbsp Garlic Paste
¼ Cup FreshCilantro- Chopped
¼ Cup Fresh Mint – Chopped
2 Green Chilies – Deseeded and chopped into large pieces – Optional
4 Tbsp Yogurt – Thick & Whisked
¼ Cup Water – For cooking Lamb
4 Cups Water – For cooking rice
2-3 Mint Leaves – For Decoration
2-3 Lemon Wedges – For Decoration
Food Color – This STEP is Completely Optional
3 Drops Red Food Color
3 Drops Yellow FoodColor
Indian Spice Mix (Whole):
1 Big Bay Leaf
1 Large Stick of Cinnamon
3 Big Black Cardamom Seed
5 Green Cardamom
Indian Spice Mix (Powdered):
2 Tsp Coriander Powder
2 Tsp Roasted CuminPowder
1½ Garam Masala – Store Bought OR Homemade
Salt – As per taste
Red Chilies – As pertaste
- Heat a large pot, add 4 cups water, 2 cups rice, ½ Tsp blackcardamom seeds, 2 cloves, 2 green cardamom. Cover and keep on high heat for aboil. After first boil, reduce the heat to lowest and cook till rice is almostdone. (Takes 10-15 min)
- Once the rice is almostdone, pour out all the water.
- In another large pan,heat oil, add onions and cook till blackish brown OR caramelized. (Takes 8-9 min) Now remove half the onionsand to the same pot add the whole spice mix and stir.
- Now add ginger+garlicpaste, lamb, powdered spice mix and cover the lid and reduce heat to low, cooktill lamb is tender and cooked. (Takes 15-20 min depending on the quality of lamb).
- After the lamb istender, add coriander, mint, yogurt, clarified butter/ghee and cook for another
5 min and switch off the heat.
Step:If adding food color, Take 2 separate bowls, add 2 Tsp water in each & add red color in first bowl
and yellow color in second bowl.
- Take a large pot, pour
some rice on the bottom of the pot, spread 2 ladle of cooked lamb over it,
sprinkle some caramelized onion and repeat the same rice-lamb-onion combination
till the pot is almost full.
- Optional Step: Now make 4 holes with ahelp of a spoon in this layer and pour the food colors in alternate holes.
- Cover the biryani andcook on low heat for 5-6 min. Switch of the heat, give the biryani a light stir
to mix colored rice, lamb pieces, onion and serve hot.