Gajar ka Halwa (Indian Carrot Pudding)
Gajar ka Halwa (Indian Carrot Pudding): a luscious mix of carrot, milk, ghee, and nuts.
You start by picking tender, juicy carrots along with whole milk, sugar, ghee, cardamom and sometimes few strands of saffron is also added.
Once the halwa is made, it’s decorated with chopped dry fruits and served hot.
Carrot Pudding - Gajar ka Halwa
5 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
2 Cups Shredded Carrots
2 Cups Whole Milk – You may use fat free or lower fat milk.*
1/4 Cup White Sugar – (You can substitute with brown sugar or sweetener)
1/2 Tsp Cardamom Powder + 2 Whole Cardamom
3 Tbsp Ghee
9 Almonds - Chopped (To decorate)
2 Tbsp raisins – Optional (To decorate)
2 Tbsp Condensed Milk – Optional (To decorate)
- In a non-stick pan, boil milk on low heat (keep stirring the milk to prevent it from burning/scalding).
- Reduced to a slightly thick consistency (about 10 minutes), keep aside and cool.
- Melt butter/ghee in a huge pan on medium heat.
- Add shredded carrots and stir-fry for about 7-8 minutes or till carrots become tender and slightly orange-pink in color.
- Add the already reduced/thick milk and cook on a medium heat until the milk is absorbed (8-10 min) and the halwa is almost ready now.
- Add sugar, raisins and cardamom powder & stir for another three to four minutes until the halwa starts to leave the sides of pot.
- Cool halwa for 1-2 min and add 2 tbsp of condensed milk.
- Decorate with almonds or cardamom
- Serve Hot or Cold as per choice